PDA

View Full Version : Ibis

Caspar Davis
12-13-2009, 10:14 PM
The plumage in Gail's turkey reminded me of these ibises I photographed last April at Bosque.

Canon sXi, 100-400 @400, Shutter speed: 1/400 sec, Aperture: 7.1, Exposure mode: Program, Metering mode: Center-weighted average, ISO: 800

Anita Rakestraw
12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
You really caught their colors well, Casper. The neutral background showcases them well. Wish the back one weren't looking away, and that the tail were not cut off on the front bird. You might consider removing the sticks at the lower right bottom area. Beautiful birds!

Gail Spitler
12-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Caspar - these are wonderful birds. I like the composition and the bg, and agree with Anita about the tail. The looking away of the second bird doesn't bother me.
I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of doing a bit of editing on the image.:o:) First I used Levels to lighten the image just a bit by adjusting the middle of the histogram, then I sharpened the two birds to bring out the detail in the wings in particular. Then I lost my head and gave the front one the tail of the other bird. I expanded the canvas with the crop tool and then cloned the tail and the water. Adding the tail was just an experiment to see if I could do it but I thought you might like to see it; it really is a personal decision if this kind of image manipulation is ethical. Actually all my photoshopping is quite experimental as I have a ton yet to learn.:D
Cheers
Gail

Caspar Davis
12-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Thank you, Gail. That's amazing. I still don't understand the clone tool, nor how you use crop to expanf the image. You've altered the tail so much that no one would ever know it's the same one!

Caspar

Gail Spitler
12-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi Caspar
I used the crop tool to get more canvas on the left side. You highlight (or put the marching ants around) the entire image, then pull the left side more to the left. Basically a new area is added to the original but with nothing in it. Then you use the clone tool to take circles of pixels from the image and place them in the empty area. I am doing all this is PS4, but I think you can do it in PSElements as well. Definitely not a LR2 technique.

Tons of other folks around BPN are better post-processors than I am. Living in a rural area, there aren't a lot of PS classes available. Art Morris's Digital Basics is a good start.

Cheers
Gail

Lance Peters
12-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Hi Caspar - Anita and gail have it covered. Nice repost Gail - Like it.
Robert O''Tooles APTATS cd would be of great value to you - explains how to use quick masks amongst other things.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Very nice behavior shot, love the color, the surrounding, and the open beak in the water looking for food. Other than the clip tail I wish there a little more room separation between the birds.

Gus Cobos
12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Casper,
I like these little guys...great advise and techs. covered. Excellent repost by Gail...keep them coming...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Excellent critique and re-post Gail You are doing well in PS !!! Nothing wrong making the changes as long as they are disclosed !!

Pose wise I rather have the second bird with a better head angle, will improve the image and its what makes two birds in frame more difficult !! Nailed the colors, light has to be just about at the perfect angle for these guys !!!

Caspar Davis
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Big thanks to Gail and others who have offered advice and instruction. I found another pictiure of these ibises and following Gail's instruction s added the tip of the wings/tail as Gail had done. I have also ordered Aptats2.

Caspar<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Caspar Davis
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Big thanks to Gail and others who have offered advice and instruction. I found another pictiure of these ibises and following Gail's instruction s added the tip of the wings/tail as Gail had done. I have also ordered Aptats2.

I still have a question: How is clone stamp different from the Healing brush tool? I jave used the latter a lot, and used it here, but have never gotten the Clone stamp tool to do much.

Caspar<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">