PDA

View Full Version : The Owl

Kurt Bowman
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
This is my first post in the Macro forum. Looking forward to sharing and learning a lot from everyone!

7D
100mm Macro 2.8 IS
580EX II w/diffuser
1/200 at f/11
ISO 640
handheld (they don't allow tripods)
slight crop from right
taken indoors at Butterfly Pavillion

Alfred Forns
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Real nice Kurt !! Have the bug parallel to the plane, lots of detail throughout. Excellent tech settings.

Would take some from the right, don't need that much trunk showing and if you have it give a little to the bottom. I like it a lot and looking forward to many more !!!

Jerry van Dijk
12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Kurt, wonderful detail! Nothing to add to Alfreds suggestions.

Julie Kenward
12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Very nice butterfly portrait, Kurt and welcome to the macro forum! I agree on removing part of the trunk on the right. I'd also take the background (BG) all the way to black since it's mostly there anyway. At the least, I'd remove the piece of green between the butterflies feet.

You'll love it here...there's some really talented people that you can learn a lot from!

Mike Moats
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey Kurt, welcome to the macro forum. Outstanding details and tones. I don't mind the trunk as is, but also agree you could take some off, your call.:)

Anita Bower
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't know much about butterflies, but this looks lovely to me. I like the simplicity of the composition, detail and tones. The colors of the trunk are the same as those of the butterfly, bringing unity and simplicity to the image. Look forward to more.