PDA

View Full Version : Making the Most of a Gloomy Day @ Bosque

Marina Scarr
12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
There was only one overcast day during my recent trip to NM. Overcast is somewhat of an understatement, since the interstate was shut down due to so much snow and so many accidents. Saw some potential with this tree. Could probably have been better had I lugged out the tripod and changed heads, but can't say I did the smart thing. Enjoyed the scene and experience nonetheless.

Canon 5D, Canon 70-200L F4 @ 180mm
F8, 1/640sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Hand held

C & C always welcomed and appreciated,

Marina

Dave Mills
12-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi Marina, Tough shooting landscapes on days like that. I think you did the best you could under the circumstances since the light wasn't working for you. I like the placement of the tree and the layers of colored grasses. I took the image into PS and played with the sat and by bringing the grasses up a small amount gave a bit more contrast to the image without overdoing it...

Roman Kurywczak
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Marina,
I had the same weather...ugh! I think the comp is effective. I would say split ND....but not sure with the tree poking up how effective/noticable it would be and besides....I did see some texture in your sky. I selected it and did a linear burn layer on it (same as multiplied layer in Robert's tutorial). I then added black in selective color to both the neutrals and blacks and finally did an LCE or 20/30/0 (in Robert's tut also) for the final pop. Let me know what you think.

Marina Scarr
12-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi Roman:

Thank you SO much for your advice and example of what you would do with this picture. FYI, I follow your advice and bring a 3 ND everywhere I go but didn't feel it was necessary in this particular case. Not being to savvy in PS, I will have to do a lot of studying to be able to do what you did to my picture. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Thank you again, Roman, for taking the time. I really like what you have done here.

Marina

Ákos Lumnitzer
12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Having looked at the OP a few times in the past week or so, I thought it needed some punch in contrast and colors. I like what Roman did here myself. I have no idea about linear burn, but usually add two points of black and neutral (black channels) in the selective color adjustment to boost contrast.

Ed Cordes
12-18-2009, 10:11 PM
It was tough conditions for you. I like Roman's re post but the re post has a bit more halo around the mountains than I like.