PDA

View Full Version : Amakihi

Roy Priest
12-13-2009, 03:09 AM
I took this photo of an Amakihi, a Hawaiian honeycreeper at Hosmer grove just inside the Haleakala National Park.
D90, 1/640@f6.7, 500 f4+1.7 EXT @ 850MM, ISO 800, Handheld.

Linwood Ferguson
12-13-2009, 08:19 AM
It's a great position, with the red complement from the flower. The look in the eye gives some sense of connection and the poise a bit of anticipation, as though he took off right after.

I would consider a might tighter crop. When I just cover up the left third or so, the reduction in dark green seems to make the beak stand out a bit better against the also-dark background.

Richard Waas
12-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Love the bird..... The red flower is a great addition to the image. I would also crop a bit on the left. Good Show.....

Gus Cobos
12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi Roy,
A nice capture indeed, I too agree on a tighter crop, by taking 1/4 from the left side of the frame. Your blacks are missing details, and the image seems to be a tad under exposed. I would suggest on adjusting the mid-tone values and opening up the shadows in the flower perch to bring out the details a little bit. I like the head angle and sharp eye contact and the feather details...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Harold Davis
12-13-2009, 02:42 PM
i agree with the crop suggestion and it does look a little underexposed. there is a dark spot on the upper right side that keeps drawing my eye. an easy fix. i might add a little canvas to the right side after the crop from the left. i love the perch, but might desat the reds in the flower.

Lance Peters
12-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Gus's comments are on the money for me - does look a tad under exposed. And the reds need attention.
Might start off by setting a black and white point via levels in Photoshop and see were that gets you as a starting point.
Looking forward to more.

Alfred Forns
12-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Excellent comments Would also like to see the bird a bit brighter !! I think a mid tone levels adj will do it fine !!! Good looking bg !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
12-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Beautiful bird and great composition. I would tone down the BG a little as it seems to compete with the bird.

Roy Priest
12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Here is a repost based on the suggestions. Now I am back at home on my computer I can see the difference.