PDA

View Full Version : Bosque Loop HDR

Amy Marques
12-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I had the urge to try my hand at an hdr during this overcast day at Bosque. Please let me know what you think of it.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8l IS USM on 1D Mark III
3 images @ f/13 combined in Photomatix, ISO 400
Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, Kirk ballhead

James Prudente
12-12-2009, 09:53 PM
No image Amy.

Jim

Amy Marques
12-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks James. I am trying to figure out what the problem is.

Amy Marques
12-12-2009, 10:10 PM
The image is up and running now, James. Please take a look. :)

caseyargall
12-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I really like it, the simular colour tones throughout work well, very well done!!

Roger Clark
12-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Why do you need an HDR for this scene (just curious)?

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Amy,
You composed this nicely with the hills peeking through the opening and the road leading you to it.....but I am with Roger, why did you chose the HDR?.....it does appear that it may have flattened the image a bit as the darker shadows may have provided a bit more depth to the scene....it would be interesting to see 1 image for comparison. That being said.....I do like the sepia look you have achieved.....so just doging and burning or adding selective color to the neutrals and blacks to the post as presented may also work!

Dave Mills
12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Amy, Roman said it all for me. The comp is well thought out and the sepia adds a warm tone throughout.
There are numerous images posted where the maker uses HDR on an evenly lit subject with few exposure problems. I'm also curious why it was used in this case...

Amy Marques
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Hello gentlemen. There is no particular reason why I used hdr other than I like the way it looks. I am new to photography and I did not know that hdr was used preferably only when there was exposure problems. The lighting was not very good and I thought an hdr would give more pleasing results. Anyway, I have included a non hdr version. I am interested in what you think of its outcome too.

I am glad you are all pleased with the composition. The sepia occured naturally when the hdr was processed.

Dave Mills
12-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi Amy, the non hdr seems lighter with less contrast and less saturation. Looks like this where personal taste comes into play. I'm leaning towards the hdr...

Nick Palmieri
12-14-2009, 08:29 AM
In my opinion I would make some adjustments on the non-HDR but with that said the shadows in the mountains are real nice on the HDR. I love the color tone of this image and its a very nice composition. I think for the HDR to work there would have to be more details in the sky...

Amy Marques
12-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you all- I am glad to know that I did make the better choice

Nick. When I get the sky looking good in hdr, the rest of the image looks horrible. But I can blend the two HDRs together- perhaps it is worth the extra work.

Roman Kurywczak
12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Hey Amy,
I took the straight shot.....and applied some of the suggestions....I added black in selective color to the neutrals and blacks to entire image.....and then another layer of the same to the mountain after knocking down some of the brightness with a layer. I was pretty agressive with them......let me know what you think.

Amy Marques
12-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Hey Amy,
I took the straight shot.....and applied some of the suggestions....I added black in selective color to the neutrals and blacks to entire image.....and then another layer of the same to the mountain after knocking down some of the brightness with a layer. I was pretty agressive with them......let me know what you think.

You're the man- it looks great! Thank you.