AV
ISO 400
f/6.3
1/125 sec.
Exp. comp. +1
Pop up fill flash -2
Tripod
Blind
Very minimal PS work, almost full frame.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-12-2009, 07:48 PM
What a cool-looking bird, the colors are amazing. I also like the head angle and BG and only wish the angle were less steep and might sharpen the bird more.

Arthur Morris
12-12-2009, 08:03 PM
This is a tough species to photograph and optimizing the images is even tougher. Many times they show the white on the breast (but not always). Was this backlit? The eye would benefit from some Eye Doctor work. Looks like you did some Photoshop work on the upper part of the perch behind the bird....

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-12-2009, 08:17 PM
What a cool-looking bird, the colors are amazing. I also like the head angle and BG and only wish the angle were less steep and might sharpen the bird more.
Thanks Axel for you comment. I just want to make sure that I understand you. Are you saying that the shooting angle is steep? Just in case I photograph this guy at eye level. :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
This is a tough species to photograph and optimizing the images is even tougher. Many times they show the white on the breast (but not always). Was this backlit? The eye would benefit from some Eye Doctor work. Looks like you did some Photoshop work on the upper part of the perch behind the bird....
Thanks Arthur for your comment, no this was not backlit. The white you see on the perch could be the reflexion of the light of the sun at 1:30 pm when the picture was taken. As I mentioned earlier, I almost didn't do anything on PS, not even cloning specs.

Do this look better?

Axel Hildebrandt
12-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Interesting, I guess this sometimes happen that the angle appears steeper than it actually was. Maybe it is due to the slow shutter speed but there is a lack of fine details. I would love to see this species sometime!

Harshad Barve
12-12-2009, 09:04 PM
one beautiful species and first time for me , lovely pose and BG here
repost looks better
TFS

caseyargall
12-12-2009, 10:52 PM
cool looking bird, i like the BG and the pose, very nice!

denise ippolito
12-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Juan, Very interesting bird. I really like the colors of the bird and BG. I agree w/ Axel it could use some sharpening. The image design is nice w/ the perch and the pose.I might give it a tiny bit more room behind the bird. Nice to get this bird almost full frame. TFS

Fernando Cerra
12-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Te felicito, muy buena foto de esta hermosa ave !

Mike Veltri
12-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Great looking bird, love the color and complimentary background. Good head turn.

Kiran Poonacha
12-14-2009, 05:43 AM
great bird this loved the colours and comp here...

Raymond Barlow
12-14-2009, 09:59 AM
well done... beautiful bird, and difficult conditions.

Ákos Lumnitzer
12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Gorgeous species mi amigo. I love it, but do feel that there just is not quite enough sharpness to provide the feather detail I would love to see. Your repost is way nicer than the OP so that's a great progress. Thanks for sharing.
Love the DVDs BTW. Muchas gracias. :cool:

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Gorgeous species mi amigo. I love it, but do feel that there just is not quite enough sharpness to provide the feather detail I would love to see. Your repost is way nicer than the OP so that's a great progress. Thanks for sharing.
Love the DVDs BTW. Muchas gracias. :cool:
I'm glad to hear that you liked the DVD's! I'm sure they show a little bit of what Costa Rica is.