PDA

View Full Version : Avocet Portrait

Anita Rakestraw
12-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I've been absent from BPN for a long time :(....hope to get back to participating.

I've taken a few trips out to Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira Wildlife Refuge (KS) over the last 6 months to enjoy the birds and wildlife; will definitely be going back!! This is from a trip in June.

6-18-09, 3:40 p.m.
1D Mk III, 500 mm w/1.4 ext., BLUBB
f/9.0, ss = 1/1250, ISO 400
Crop and basic adjustments (sorry, I no longer recall specifics)

Lance Peters
12-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi Anita - nice to see you back :)
Lots to like here - exposure looks good, Good HA and eye contact and gotta love that beak.
Maybe some more cropped from the bottom?? - Just gives me the feeling that its a accidental cut there rather than a deliberate one!
Good show :)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Love the sharpness, the pose, the HA which show beautiful beak and the fine feather details. I might run a round of small NR and wish that the catch light in the eye is a big bigger.

Alfred Forns
12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Welcome back Anita ... you have been missed !!!

Good looking bird, just need softer light and more from your back, there is a shadow right up front !!! Unusual crop but a good one, might consider Lance's idea a take a little of the bottom .. then top for proportion sort of accentuates the long beak !!

Jeff Cashdollar
12-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Sweet image, eye area seems soft IMO, maybe some sharpening on the head. Nice picture, love the species.

Anita Rakestraw
12-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Thanks to each of you for the good suggestions. Others' eyes are always helpful!

Gus Cobos
12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Anita,
I like the composition, image and capture. You have been given sound advise...would remove or blend down the shadow just below the bill...everything else looks good...looking forward to your next one...:cool: