PDA

View Full Version : "Time For A Snack"

Gus Cobos
12-12-2009, 02:47 PM
“Time For A Snack”

Note:
This portrait was taken early this year, during a Birds II class, with Miss Fabs Forns. The head angle is a little off, but this was the best pose afforded by my little friend, who was busy eating. A textured oil canvas finished was applied to make him pop.

This little fellow is a resident of Shark Valley, National Park in Miami Florida. He was painted with a Nikon D200, using a Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED lens, with a Nikkor 1.7 T/C.

Image Solution:
focal length @ 300mm / exposure mode @ aperture priority / in camera matrix metering / 1/650sec. - f/5.6 / exposure comp @ +0.3EV / ISO @ 800 / white balance @ auto / AF - Mode @ AF - C / color space @ sRGB / lighting solution – ambient lighting / tone comp @ +1 degree / hue adjustment @ +1 degree / saturation factor @ +2 degrees / support platform – hand held /

Comments greatly appreciated...:cool:

kostas nianiopoulos
12-12-2009, 03:06 PM
it seems that this guy was a bit hungry , and he is a good fishserman , great image Gus .

Anita Rakestraw
12-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Great detail and looks like perfect color rendition, Gus. Super catch (both you and the bird!)

Lance Peters
12-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi Gus - head angle off??? On the fish or the Bird ;)
Like the applied effects.

Dave Phillips
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM
like the crop......it appears there is a burn in in on the fish from overexposure
and there appears a lot of bg cleanup/cloning not quite making it to the edge
of the subject.(soft white halo all around) Was there a lot of cloning in bg?

For me, the texture seems more a cover up for lack of detail

Alfred Forns
12-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Dave you are entitled to your opinion but seems to be off base?

The photograph has been turned into a DC !!! What is up with all the comments?

James Shadle
12-12-2009, 10:45 PM
"like the crop"
Me too.
"it appears there is a burn in in on the fish from overexposure"
The histogram does not indicate any clipping in the whites.
"there appears a lot of bg cleanup/cloning not quite making it to the edge
of the subject."
I do see areas that look like they were "cleaned" up. I had to blow the image up over 200% to see it.
Gus is that the case?
"(soft white halo all around)"
I don't see a white halo all the way around. I saw a little sharpening halo.
"For me, the texture seems more a cover up for lack of detail"
How can you know that there was lack of detail without seeing the original?

Head angle and action look good to me.

WIlliam Maroldo
12-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I am in Dave's corner on this one, not that his points are correct or not, but the fact of the matter is that considerable alteration was made, and even though this was properly disclosed, such a substantial derivation of a photograph should IMO should have been placed in OOTB. Although the "textured oil canvas finish" was a good choice, I also think that it is more likely than not that it did more than simply make the green heron "pop" which under normal circumstances involves increasing contrast. For example, excessive noise, lack of detail and other photographic problems could be countered by such an effect. I'm not saying it was, but it seems to me that photographs, with the standard adjustments, cropping and even cloning out elements, etc. is more informative to those "Eager the Learn" folks, than an image that has been so altered.
All this aside, I like the image, and it is a good composition, and the fish a big plus. regards~Bill

Lance Peters
12-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I am in Dave's corner on this one, not that his points are correct or not, but the fact of the matter is that considerable alteration was made, and even though this was properly disclosed, such a substantial derivation of a photograph should IMO should have been placed in OOTB. Although the "textured oil canvas finish" was a good choice, I also think that it is more likely than not that it did more than simply make the green heron "pop" which under normal circumstances involves increasing contrast. For example, excessive noise, lack of detail and other photographic problems could be countered by such an effect. I'm not saying it was, but it seems to me that photographs, with the standard adjustments, cropping and even cloning out elements, etc. is more informative to those "Eager the Learn" folks, than an image that has been so altered.
All this aside, I like the image, and it is a good composition, and the fish a big plus. regards~Bill

Hi William - hmmm following your rationale should images of a say a tiger not be in wildlife then??

My understanding and I COULD well be incorrect was the ETL was for any image - its a forum were you can post any image before moving onto open forums. I am not into adding much or removing much from my images at all - but that is a personal choice - I personally dont think there is any issue with Gus's use of any effects regardless of what it may prevent you from seeing in the original image.
It has been posted as a Digital Creation and disclosed - no problems - IMHO

Harshad Barve
12-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi William - hmmm following your rationale should images of a say a tiger not be in wildlife then??
posted as a Digital Creation and disclosed - no problems - IMHO

Lance , I think you are 100 % correct here , I am not a regular poster in ETL but I have learned lot here and thats whay I am able to play in big leagues like Avian , Wildlife & yes OOTB

Gusbhai , IMHO no problems with painted canvas for me

Harshad Barve
12-13-2009, 12:47 AM
like the crop......it appears there is a burn in in on the fish from overexposure
and there appears a lot of bg cleanup/cloning not quite making it to the edge
of the subject.(soft white halo all around) Was there a lot of cloning in bg?

For me, the texture seems more a cover up for lack of detail

Histrogram dont show any cllipings & whats the point in making such comment when this is DC

Gusbhai
This is lovely image with nice creativity and BTW I dont find any problems with HA :D , otherwise HAP would have been called:) and you know who is leading HAP:D

WIlliam Maroldo
12-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Lance, Harshad, I said nothing about subject matter. " If you have significantly altered your image by adding or removing elements of the composition, we ask that you let folks know what you have done" is what I was going on. I could very well have misunderstoood, and I never read anything about DC. I usually post at OOTB, mainly because I often use effects similar to what GUS posted here, and I post here at ETL to not only learn something but hopefully pass on a few things I've picked up.
Histogram of a image that has been processed does not tell much about that of the original RAW image. regards~Bill

Alfred Forns
12-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Bill you can do OOTB images right here for people Eager To Learn, nothing wrong with that. The image was posted as such. Before Denise got to OOTB and got the place rocking, I use to posts lots of OOTB images here to show what could be done and let people know what was available, still think the same way.

To imply that the work was done to cover anything up is "wrong" Can't imagine anyone thinking that in the first place. Also why even bring up if the image is clipped when posted as a DC?

I think the part that got me from Dave's post is the last statement .... For me, the texture seems more a cover up for lack of detail ..... No sense in making that statement.

James Shadle
12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Bill said:
"Histogram of a image that has been processed does not tell much about that of the original RAW image. regards~Bill"
This is true, however we are judging the image as presented not necessarily as captured.
James