PDA

View Full Version : "Missing Man Formation"

VinceRossi
12-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Took this shot just as I was getting out of the car at a special location we like to go to. I really like the title and think it fits. Hope you like it.

It seems as though I am limited to ONLY one post (thread) per day or else I would be taking advantage of posting more item on this section. I find the info has been very helpful. Is there a way to post more then once per day?

Shoot on auto action mode with a Canon Rebel SXim 1/2000, f8,ISO400,250mm, exp. 0, Hand held

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I do like the image. Love the formation and how you have all of them in about equal focus. Good job on having all four birds separate from each other which is important in flying formal shot IMO. Best to have them flying toward you. Light source seem to be at the top hence the shadow cast by the wings on the body and the two right most birds head seem to be in shadow of the one above, wish the sun was lower in the sky.

You can post more than one image in a different forum, like one in Avian and one in Eager to learn. But each forum need to wait one day in order to post the next image.

VinceRossi
12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. This is an as is shot, the birds weren't moved around by me. Sometimes I guess we have to get what we can when we can. As I get out more and I shoot more I hope my selections will increase.

Gus Cobos
12-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Vince,
I like the capture, you did real well as a record shot. Very good advise given by Mr. Thanaboon on techs. I like the flight formation, only wished that they were flying toward you instead of away...none the less well done...keep them coming...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Got lots of good things here Vince !!! Exposure is better, not that large of a crop (better quality) and there are no merges between birds !!!

With this as Thanaboon explained you want to shoot the birds before they get to you .. not going away. Also we try to have a particular wing position, just taste. If you look at a wing all the way up or down it seems to look better than bent !! In flocks its difficult to get all with good wing positions and no overlaps !!!

Just one per day but we look forward to the next one !!!!

Anita Rakestraw
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Love the title, Vince; it certainly fits! Actually, though, the comp with just the four is very nice, I think. Nice color palette, and I like the shot even though it doesn't meet all the ideals. To me, the sky still looks a bit noisy, and it appears that you may have had to use alot of NR on the birds....? There also appear to be sharpening halos around the birds. But overall, a pleasing image.

Lance Peters
12-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Vince - love the title - Might be worth having a look at the educational resources forum, articles on sharpening and Noise reduction.
I too see strong halo's around the birds from over sharpening and a loss of detail - maybe from noise reduction. Both should be applied as a layer - sharpen only the birds, apply noise reduction on everything but the birds.

Exposure does look better - personally I would concentrate on getting your exposure close to the mark to start with and then once you have a handle on that then start to concentrate the image composition.

Looking forward to more :)

Jeff Cashdollar
12-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Agree with comments above, nice picture.

Auto Action Mode? Have you read APBII and tried AV mode with exposure compensation. Let me know if I can help, I love BIF and this was a nice image.