PDA

View Full Version : Garden Lizard

Madhav Jois
12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
This is almost full frame. I could not help but to keep the eye at the center :confused: I would like to know if the composition can be bettered. Thanks in advance for your views.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4179036498_66a4f6311e_o.jpg

Exif: Nikon D90, Sigma 70-300 APO Macro @ 195mm, f5.6, ISO 200, 1/350 SS, Hand held

Thanks,
Madhav

Alfred Forns
12-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Would go tighter on the head !! Yellow around it looks beautiful but nothing much going on there.

Wish the lizard was all on the clear but came up with a pleasing image, point of focus is right on the eye and sharp it is !!!

Julie Kenward
12-13-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree with Al, Madhav. I recropped using a 10x7 size and letting the nose of the lizard move towards the URC (upper right corner.) I, too, wish there was less yellow over the top of the lizard but I love that you got the eye in the clear. It would also have been a stronger image if you had moved a bit to your right and caught him straight from the side or even head on looking back down his body.

One thing to remember when composing images is this: is the thing you are photographing a vertical or a horizontal? Plant stems are obviously vertical and lizards are pretty much horizontal, right? That is usually a good key to how the final crop should go - but then again, rules are made to be broken! Just keep that in mind and start at that point and then play around with other crops to see what you like.
Also, you might want to read the posting guidelines at the top of the forum. Your image was uploaded at over 300 ppi - resizing it according to the forum guidelines will help us see a larger image. Let me know if you have any questions!

Madhav Jois
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Alfred and Julie, thanks for stopping by.
@Julie: Thanks for the repost. Its much better than my original post. I have made images where the lizard stands out from the yellows, but for some reasons i liked this one. I will definitely keep your words in my mind as to how the final crop should be. Also, pardon me for violating the 300 ppi limit. I will be cautious next time and wont do the same mistake.

regards,
Madhav