PDA

View Full Version : Old Oak Tree

Steve Martin
12-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I spent an afternoon driving around looking for an isolated "Old Oak Tree". We have thousands of old oaks in this area but finding one isolated is a bit of a challenge. This one isn't exactly what I had in mind but comes close. This was also the first time I have ever left the house knowing what I was going to shoot and totally ignored (not completely :D ) everything else. This is a 5 image HDR processed using Lightroom & Photomatix Pro.

Canon Mark III
17-40 F4L
ISO 100
F11

http://wild-captures-photography.smugmug.com/Landscapes/HDR/Landscape-HDR-6/727186337_G2vGB-L.jpg

Dave Mills
12-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Steve, The lighting is beautiful along with an interesting sky. I really like how the tree is backlit with the dappled rays on the grass.Wish the small tree on the left wasn't there but no way around that shooting at this angle. Nice job with the HDR!

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Steve,

Setting an assignment for yourself and going out and doing it is a great way to learn. I think you succeeded well. I like the look of the HDR, the sun rays and the golden glow coming through the branches.

david cramer
12-12-2009, 06:27 PM
A gorgeous image. Nice work with HDR.

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Steve,
You did very well isolating the tree and I too like the HDR work. It appears there was stuff in the BG.....so going lower doesn't appear to be an option.....so nicely handled there. The rays peeking through really make this work nicely!

Steve Martin
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Dave - I wish the small tree wasn't there too. I'm still looking for that perfect "grand daddy oak" and will find it some day.

Robert - Really difficult to pass up all the other photo opps I saw that day but it does payoff in the end.

David - Thanks for the kind words!

Roman - Thanks for the kind words. Going lower was not an option, I did try several other angles but the buildings in the background prevented it.

Brent Wellander
12-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I really like the light filtering through the tree, and the contrast of green grass & blue sky...very nice!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Very nice, I love the sweet rays of light though the trees painting the green grass.