PDA

View Full Version : Sea Eagle vs. Silver Gull (7D advice?)

Ofer Levy
12-11-2009, 09:24 PM
7D, Canon 300 f2.8, x1.4, 1/6400, f5, iso 800, HH from a boat

Took this early this morning here in Sydney. The Silver Gull was harassing this White-bellied Sea Eagle which was trying to catch its meal.

This is the first time I am using the Canon EOS 7D for flight - any advice from the more experienced 7D users as to the best camera settings for BIF ?

Thanks guys!

About 70% of full frame

Amy Marques
12-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Sorry, I can't give any advice on your 7D. But I would like to say that this is a rather interesting catch and I like the pov. Perhaps the reds of the gull can be toned down a bit since that color seems to overwhelm the image? Unless, of course, that species of gull does have extremely bright orange/red legs!

Ofer Levy
12-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Sorry, I can't give any advice on your 7D. But I would like to say that this is a rather interesting catch and I like the pov. Perhaps the reds of the gull can be toned down a bit since that color seems to overwhelm the image? Unless, of course, that species of gull does have extremely bright orange/red legs!

Thanks for your comment Amy. This intense red/orange colour is pretty accurate as presented.

Tony Whitehead
12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Great interaction, Ofer. Wing postures are very complimentary. Highlight in the eagle's eye really makes it. This is an image where Fabs' technique of using Nik Color Efex reflector would open up some of the underwing detail quite well. Agree the bill and legs of the gull look right colour wise - we call them Red-billed Gulls in NZ!

John Blumenkamp
12-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi Ofer... I really like the interaction you've captured here, and especially the wing position of the eagle and how it frames the gull in a sense... those dangling, colorful feet of the gull add a unique element to the image in my opinion.

My two cents on 7D settings for BIF... for custom settings, I've settled into having the tracking sensitivity set to one notch below standard/middle, AI Servo 1st/2nd priority set to '0' (AF/Tracking priority), AI Servo method set to '1' (continuous), and focus search off. For AF point selection, I would estimate I use Manual Single Point AF over 90% of the time... I do switch to Spot AF if shooting a subject smaller in the frame (or static subject), and have played with Zone AF for birds in flight against a uniform background. I experimented with AF Point Expansion early on, but have stayed with single point as time has progressed.

I'm still learning, and I'd be curious to hear the settings others are using too.

Doug Brown
12-12-2009, 12:32 AM
I have AI Servo tracking sensitivity set to slow. I use center point AF (both spot and normal) and AF point expansion for flight. Both work well IMO.

Kiran Poonacha
12-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Loved this Ofer, nice moment captured, nice details and pose, the gulls in perticular..

Nate Chappell
12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Great interaction!