PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret Faces the Sunrise

Garry Gibson
12-11-2009, 09:14 PM
A Snowy Egret is facing the sunrise in the Everglades.

I know that there is a dark side facing us, but I wanted to show
the sun shining on his beak and eyes. I also like the brown of
the Everglades in the winter.

Canon 40D, 100-400L 400MM f5.6 f1/2000 ISO 800
Cropped slightly, auto contrast and some vibrance added.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/4178009666_8a90998fbf_o.jpg

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Gary - Like the inclusion of the Habitat - always going to be difficult with a white bird in anything but soft light - also best with even illumination. There is a strong blue cast to the side of the bird in the shade, does depend on taste but I like to have my whites white!
Head angle is turned slightly away - but lets say he is concentrating on something in that direction - like the open beak. Bird does seem to be lacking in detail??? Did you apply any noise reduction to the bird??
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Gus Cobos
12-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi Garry,
The natural habitat is super...your subject suffers from harsh lighting...agree with Mr. Peters on the techs. and good advise given...the whites look a tad on the hot side and lacking details on both the dark area and the lit area. With these guys, its a matter of practice and more practice...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi Garry Good points brought up and fully agree, can add I wish the bird was not place in the center of the image. Placing more to the left and a bit lower would clean up the bg and give space for the bird to start into !!

Habitat images are more difficult than isolating a bird, do try to make them at every opportunity !!! Glad your going after them !!!

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I like your idea, just wish that the white on the neck and face weren't blown out so you could have details on those parts. I like how you include the habitats, there is an OOF water in the background, so to me in this image it looks like the bird is looking for water.

wendell westfall
12-12-2009, 04:01 PM
I like everything about it except the placement of the bird. I agree with Alfred's suggestion on that.

Garry Gibson
12-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I appreciate all the comments. I made two changes in the photo.
I did a quick mask and got rid of the noise reduction on the egret. I see a little noise
in the dark part of the bird, but it did bring out some detail.

I also used Alfred's advice and changed the crop. Here is the revised edition.
Again, thanks to all for your advice and comments.

Garry

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4180472458_8b988af9e8_o.jpg

Julian Mole
12-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Gary,

Nice repost. I think you have improved the image a lot with the adjustments you've made.

Good stuff,

Julian.