PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Sparrow

Bob Decker
12-11-2009, 04:21 PM
The wind was bitter and drove me off the trail early. I set-up my pop-up blind in the back yard and harrassed the birds visiting the feeding station. Although I clipped the birds tail feathers off I like this shot. 40D, Bigma @ 500, 640 iso, f8, 1/400, ev +1, 580EX II w/ BB @ -1.0. RAW conversion in CS3 ACR with slight Sat boost, some removal of distracting limbs in PS, sharpening and a curves adjustment.

Alfred Forns
12-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Bob

If you got a set up try also providing perches !! Makes all the difference, a little bird with that much wood usually will not look its best !! For this one would include the tail, as I'm looking at it get the impression it was clipped even if left out deliberately. Would also prefer a lower shooting angle !!

Like the high key bg, might try sharpening on a layer to just on the face area. The shoulder and wing area look a little over sharpened I like how you place the bird on the left side of the frame !!! ... good tech settings !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
12-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Nice one Bob, agree with Al's comments, include tail if you have it and perch kinda dominates the scene, nice HA and eye, beautiful species.

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Bob - Agree with ALS comments - love high key. These guys are everywhere were I live hopefully the same there - setup a perch or a bird bath and they should co-operate fairly easily.
Techs look good. Shooting angle makes it kinda hard.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Julian Mole
12-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Bob,

Nice photo, I like the pose (with the crest slightly raised) and your placement of the bird in the frame. Might be a bit 'woody' for the purists here at BPN but I can certainly live with it!

Good detail in the feathers, so you can tell you were nice and close, also has a nice catchlight in the eye from the flash and level of flash fill looks natural.

All in all, looks like you're doing well. Just might want to try setting up some natural perches lower down next to your feeders and position your blind accordingly.

Let us know how you get on,

Julian.

Gus Cobos
12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Bob,
I like this little guy...agree with Mr. Forns on the techs. and sound advise given...keep them coming...:cool:

Julian Mole
12-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi Bob,

I just thought I'd supply a link to how you can set up some natural looking perches next to garden feeders.

Use the link below, then click on "Photo Tips" at the left and then click on "Photographing garden birds".

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/

If you are already aware of this sort of thing please disregard.

All the best,

Julian.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Sharp with fine feather details throughout, the exposure looks good and you use your flash very well, and also love the pose and HA. Agree with Alfred about the clipped tail and branch being overpowering the bird.