PDA

View Full Version : Confidence

wendell westfall
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
D70s 70-300 1/800 f/5.0 ISO200 0EV handheld

I took this picture three years ago on a Southern California rocky coast, and just recently I learned that it is a Heermann's Gull, uncommon to me (threatened species, I believe) . . . I've always liked his looks. I did almost no PP (no crop, a little sharpening). Among other critiques, I'd like to know what causes the little "circles of light" scattered across the background? C&C welcomed.

Wendell

Alfred Forns
12-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi Wendell Those things on the bg are specular highlights, when shooting wide open they look round and will turn hexagonal as you stop the lens down .. not much you can do about it !!!

Bird looks fine, well exposed and sharp. Do like you chose to capture the environment, for these always move around within your sun angle looking for the best bg, just a few feet up/down left/right makes a difference !!! Excellent image !!!

Kerry Perkins
12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Very nice one Wendell! Exposure and detail are excellent and I like the complimenting background. You are right about the bird being on the watch list, but from what I read today they are making a nice comeback. Good eye to capture this one!

The specular highlights in the background are drops of water that act like little mirror lenses shooting light from the sun back at you! For some images I have cloned these out to avoid the visual distraction.

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi Wendell - Nice image.... Sharp and exposure looks good -- when you get a willing subject make sure you work the situation, moving around as much as you can, you will soon find the position that will give you the best result.
like the inclusion of the habitat - good show :)

wendell westfall
12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks to all for the info, I'd never heard the term "specular highlights." And Kerry I like your Thoreau quotation. My favorite of his is:

“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost. That is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.”

I once visited Walden Pond, along with a busload of other tourists. I think I'd rather have kept it in my memory as I'd imagined it, not as it is today.

Gus Cobos
12-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Very nice composition with good color rendition Wendell...the exposure is dead on...I like this very much...just clone out the specular highlights and you have a wall hanger...a big congrats...keep them coming...:cool:

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Sharp with good details, the habitat background with wave going through the rocks is wonderful, and congratulation on being full frame too. The specular highlight bokeh draws some attention from the bird.