PDA

View Full Version : Snow goose - Bosque

Kerry Perkins
12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
A wonderful aspect of being at Bosque earlier in November is the colors of the leaves on the trees. They make great backgrounds! When I went back there a week later, the color was mostly gone and a lot of the leaves had blown away...

Shot in the late afternoon sun, I realize I could have traded SS for a lower ISO but things sometimes happen quickly at the Bosque. ;) Converted in LR2, then sharpened in CS4. Ran NR (Noise Ninja) on the BG only by selecting the bird with Topaz Remask 2 and creating new layers.

50D, EF400mm f/5.6L
Manual mode, f/5.6@1/4000 ISO 400 WB 5100K
AI Servo autofocus, handheld no flash

David Stephens
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I like this pose, the exposure seems perfect to me and you've placed the bird perfectly in the frame. Still, I'm a noob, so what do I know? I'll be interested to see the comments of others more learned. (Gotta get myself down I-25 to Bosque :cool:).

Dave

Alfred Forns
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Mighty fine and all looks good from my side !!! Wish the bg was further back for smoother trees but can soften a bit in PS !! Just make it look realistic !!!

Exposure is dead on, like the eye contact, placement in frame and feel !!! Got a keeper !!! ... here is a re post of what I was thinking, just smoothed out the bg some !! ... might have over done a bit so you could see the differences right away, this you do in a layer and can back down the opacity to taste !!!

Kerry Perkins
12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
David, thanks for your comments! Sounds like you know a lot actually. ;)

Thanks Al! I agree, and I have the bird and BG on clean separate layers (gotta love Remask 2!) so that will be an easy fix.

I just love Bosque and already making plans for next year!! Bringing Carol next time - she is an awesome spotter! :)

Alfred Forns
12-11-2009, 05:00 PM
... just hope they plan some corn :)

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi Kerry - lovely - exposure spot on, good flight position, HA and eye contact - just lovely.
Like ALS work on the BG.

Fine image!

Gus Cobos
12-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi Kerry,
A mighty fine image indeed...I like the composition, image and capture. I like the down wing position, you have good details, good color rendition, a good head angle and sharp eye...congrats...:cool:

david cramer
12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Everything works on this image. Great detail and placement, with a killer bg. Nice!

Richard Waas
12-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Beautiful job with this bird..... I loved Bosque and look forward to coming back. We didn't have a classic blastoff something to look forward to.....

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Wonderful image, love the sharpness, the details, the exposure, the place of the bird in the frame and the wing down position.