PDA

View Full Version : One of my favorites BUT....

VinceRossi
12-11-2009, 11:11 AM
I wish the focau and blow out area weren't so bad.

VinceRossi
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
This the original.

Here are some specs. Used my former camera on this shot. Have since traded in for Nikon D5000

Aperature Control.
F5.6, ISO 100, 250mm,1/400

Bill Dix
12-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Vince: I like the upward extended wing position. Just a few thoughts on techs, although others are more skilled than I am at this: a higher ISO would have allowed a higher SS to address the motion blur of the wings; some exposure compensation in the camera could have addressed the blown highlights; and were it mine I might clone out some of the branches on the upper left and right, but that's just a matter of preference and personal ethics. If you haven't done so already I highly recommend purchasing a copy of Artie's "The Art of Bird Photography" including the Volume II CD, which address these points and much much more. The issue of exposure is covered extensively and I found it very helpful.

Alfred Forns
12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Vince

This a large crop and always difficult to pull off !!! Might try finding something large in frame with a good histogram to work with !!

Do like the pose with the wings up, got a clear view of the nest, sun angle is not he best and it is a bit over exposed. All whites around the body are climbing up the right side of the histogram !!!

Here is an alternate crop as suggested by Bill, works great for me. Just cropped and got rid of the branches left to the right. Couldn't do much with the whites since they were blown but adjusted contrast just a tad.

You will find most strong looking images are strong right out of the camera and need little work !!! Keeping pressing that shutter and will continue working on them !!!

.... btw remember to list the exposure compensation !!!!

VinceRossi
12-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I usually leave the exposure control at 0. I am now getting use the controls on the camera and will try and adjust as needed.
Any suggestions in this or any other area are very welcome.
Thanks
Vince

Alfred Forns
12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Vince use your histogram as a guide !!! After you make the image if you have any pixels running up the right side of the histogram (can also check the blinkies) dial in minus compensation and shoot again.

For this one just looking you will need minus 2/3 or so !!! Just pick up one thing at a time !! Will be fine in no time !!!

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Vince - great advice above - Arties book is great value and filled with info. Practice exposure - using your exposure compensation - I used to go out and just shoot random things - JUST so I could practice exposure and get a eye for changing light conditions.

Turn your overexposure blinkies on in your camera and make use of your histogram.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Gus Cobos
12-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Vince,
I like the raised wing position...very good advise given, and all the techs. have been covered...I agree with Mr. Peters on Turning on the overexposure blinkies and checking your histogram.
Looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Kerry Perkins
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Hello Vince,
Very difficult compromise to make in these lighting situations! Working with the histogram and "blinkies" will give you some good feedback in these situations. The action captured is great and the up wing position is very dramatic. With practice you will be able to tame these exposure situations when necessary and concentrate on framing the action! Practice is the key!!

VinceRossi
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Something I haven't heard before "Blimkies" Can anyone refer them to me on a Nikon D5000? Thanks.

Lance Peters
12-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Goto Menu - Playback - Display Mode - arrow across and put a tick in HIGHLIGHTS.
Now when you view the image on the LCD screen if you have over exposed areas they should flash.
Use the control pad on the back of the camera to cycle through the display modes - take a delibratley over exposed shot so that you can make sure it is on.