PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Longwing On Zinnia

Charles Wesley
12-11-2009, 08:10 AM
One day this butterfly came out of nowhere and landed on one of my zinnias. I had to document it.
Lucky for me it liked to stay stationary. Used a Gaussian blur on the BG. Hope its not too artsy.

Canon EOS- 1D, EF 100- 400 mm f/4.5- 5.6 IS, Canon 550 EX flash set at very low MP with Omni Bounce diffuser and a tripod.

Enjoy...

PS/CS4
Topaz Adjust
FocalBlade

Julie Kenward
12-11-2009, 08:27 AM
I think it's lovely, Charles. I think you could also go with a square crop in this case, taking some off the top and bottom. Beautiful angle on the butterfly and nice work in the reds of the zinnia.

Vida van der Walt
12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Love the colour combination in this beautiful image. Would also consider a more square crop.:)

Mike Moats
12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Charlie, I like the blur you added, nice soft feel. I think juat a crop of the top that would put the B-fly in the top third would work better.

Alfred Forns
12-11-2009, 04:37 PM
With the Bfly oriented horizontally would try a different crop Do like the rich colors and clean bg !!!

.... would go with some off the flower top and bottom or just square !!!

Mike Fuhr
12-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Beautiful butterfly. I wish one like this would visit me! Agree about the crop. Would try from bottom or top. I like the bkgrd leaf at the top so maybe a crop from the bottom?? What aperture did you use?

Charles Wesley
12-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Mike,

Thanks for your comments. I used f/8.0. FocalBlade really is my favorite PS plugin. It worked very well on this image. Use it all the time....

Mike Fuhr
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Mike,

Thanks for your comments. I used f/8.0. FocalBlade really is my favorite PS plugin. It worked very well on this image. Use it all the time....

What does that plug in do?

denise ippolito
12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Charles, I want to get FocalBlade. Colors and details are just lovely! The square crop sounds good. You really have an eye for putting together nice color comps.

Charles Wesley
12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Mike & Denise,

Thanks for the comments. FocalBlade is a program to sharpen an image for either an LCD screen or a print. I only do selective sharpening with the program. It will also do soft focus. I found out about it from Luminous Landscapes about 3 years ago.

It's very easy to use IMO and that's what so impressive....

Ed Vatza
12-13-2009, 06:44 AM
I like everything about this except for the angle. The butterfly looks distorted to me. The right wing longer than the left. Intuitively, I know the reason but visually it looks distorted.

Anita Bower
12-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Lovely. My first thought was that you placed the butterfly on the flower. :) Nice angle and color contrasts. I would like to see the butterfly's wing tips stand out a bit more from the BG. Cropping top and bottom would eliminate distracting elements. Very nice light, and I love the details on the red flower.