PDA

View Full Version : Chinstrap Penguins

Verena Meraldi
12-10-2009, 06:56 PM
This is my very first incursion into the field, so I'm eager to hear whatever you have to say about this image!!
Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Sigma 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO HSM
ISO: 200
AF Mode: M
Focal lenght: 250mm
f: 6.3
Exposure: 1/1600
Hand held

Jeff Cashdollar
12-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Composition is great maybe not best sun angle, still good - just not position A. That is sun behind your back with your shadow pointing at subject. Like the vert crop,

In reflective environments like this often can boost ISO and shutter while stopping down for more DoF to bring second guy more in focus.

Well done - what a great moment. Nice equipment should be able to deliver more great images and nice first post, much better than mine. Welcome and hope to see you soon. Was this a photo trip or family vacation?

kostas nianiopoulos
12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
not bad image at all ... well done .

Oscar Zangroniz
12-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Like the composition, image is a little soft. jeff's got the techs covered.
Congrats and keep them coming.

Gus Cobos
12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
A big warm welcome to the BPN family Vmeraldi,
I like the composition. Both subjects have good head angles. The lighting here is the issue. You have harsh side lighting which casts a shadow on half of your subjects...for your next one its best to watch the light and make sure that the sun light is at your back for even illumination of the subject. I also see a slight blue color cast, which is an easy fix. Looking forward to your next one, and once again, welcome to the family...:cool:

John Chardine
12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
And a very warm welcome to BPN from me too Verena! Agree with other positives mentioned (the look-back head angle in particular). The juxtaposition of the two birds is of course great and makes the image (I wonder if they were a pair?). The poses are almost perfectly matched, almost like they are doing a coordinated ballet. You had to be prepared and quick to make this image. I agree the side-lighting is difficult to manage, especially in bright sun with black and white subjects, but I don't find it too distracting. Some of the blacks are blocked but the whites look good. Agree about the sharpness, and another round on the right hand, front bird would do the trick I think, with a focus on the facial features and the eye. Perhaps a little off the bottom in terms of crop would be good as well.

It was a huge joy shooting with you for the last 5 weeks in Antarctica Verena, and we BPNers want to see more from there and other places you make images!

Alfred Forns
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Big Warm Welcome !!

Love mirror poses and overall feel !! Could try stopping down more but don't think the second bird would ever be inside the dof !! Getting the front sharp is just fine.

Did great with the light and for this don't mind the side light much, shadow seems to complement the image. Color balance wise find it natural and what I would expect !! About all I can suggest is a little more room to the left for showing the entire shadow !!

A treat watching this one and looking forward to more images !!!

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi - A big warm welcome to the BPN family - I agree with the advice given already - think that lens is at its best stopped down a bit - agree that you will not get both in focus, but might improve your main subject a little.
Light angle is not the greatest but guessing you may have been limited to were you could shoot from.
:)

Verena Meraldi
12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Wow! Thank you all a lot for this warm welcoming! And for the good advise, I guess after this I will never shoot again without considering what the best lighting would be! Look forward to getting more advise.
I would like to say, that the first big guidance came from John Chardine during the 5 weeks Antarctica that we shared. Thanks John!! and btw have a nice flight back home on Sunday.
Thank you all again.