PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Reflection

Phil Ginn
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
http://www.ourphotographicjourneys.com/Forum%20Photos/image3.jpg

We are attempting to select a few images for our upcoming local photography contest. We would like to post a few to see what we may be missing in our processing and to receive some input on which maybe the best images.

This image was taken on our fall trip to Glacier. It was taken before the sun actually rose. We had hoped to capture the peaks illuminated once the sun rose; however, the wind started blowing and we lost the reflection. A larger image can be seen on our website
at http://www.ourphotographicjourneys.com/17%20Fall%20Canada/Gallery%20Panoramas.htm

It is a merged photograph from three images taken at 13mm, f25, ISO1600, 3.2 seconds. Thanks for looking.<O:p</O:p

Nick Palmieri
12-10-2009, 06:24 PM
The glacier is cool and it looks like you got a very nice reflection. I am bothered by the lights on the building on the left, my eyes keep getting pulled there. I would either tone it down or crop it out...When you say its merged, do you mean it's a stitched pano or and HDR? I am also wondering why you selected such a high ISO??

Phil Ertel
12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
HI Nicki, I like the symmetry of the reflection. It looks like it could use a little clockwise rotation. Thanks for sharing.

Robert Amoruso
12-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Phil,

If the building was a larger part of the image conveying that "wilderness lodge nestled in the mountains" look I would be more inclined accept it, but here from so far away the bright lights just draw the viewers attention as Nick mentions. Perhaps printed as a pano, this affect is lessened.

You need a CW rotation.

Dave Mills
12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Phil, Agree with Robert's and Nick's comments. I might also lighten the mountains a small amount.

Paul Marcellini
12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I would crop the lodge and do a small contrast boost to the main peak.

Ed Cordes
12-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Comments above are accurate. The rotation is obvious. The image also looks a bit noisy.

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey Phil,
Count me as another non fan of the buildings......the peak tip would make for an effective crop point. I also like Pauls suggestions for the other peaks.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Not a fan of the lodge either, the mountains make a strong comp and the lights draw me there away from the main scene.

Nagesh Mula
12-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Lodge or not is your call, but I like this picture very much and here I may boost the main peak as mentioned by Paul. I would also try to go (is possible :)) and this time for possible sunrise with reflection. Congrats!!