PDA

View Full Version : Snowy owl

Lise De Serres
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.pbase.com/lizzee/image/120124592.jpg

F8 ISO 400 1/1600sec 420mm
I was able to take a few pictures of this owl as he decided to walk a bit. It was a first for me to see an owl in this position. This picture was taken in February 08 as I'm waiting for them this winter!! :)
Thanks for your constructive comments!

Lise

Jeff Cashdollar
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Like to know more about the kit, but I love the shot. Amazing exposure, the histogram must have been just correct in the most right stop.

Great eye and the stepping composition is unique, you have put me in the winter sprit for sure - thank you. Please continue to post and a warm welcome, your work is good.

I like the f/8.0 which shows the snow on the ground as opposed to a f/5.6 with less DoF.

I assume this is a manual exposure, was it spot and how did you meter it, HH? This is a wonderful picture wish it were mine. Would you tell me more about the location. Is this close to your home or a local park. Did you adjust the WB any?

James Alexander
12-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Lise-
I like the space ahead of the owl, the position of the feet demonstrating action, and the beautiful subject. Too bad he/she didn't give you a look! I wonder how the image would look shot portrait instead of landscape?
Jim

Gus Cobos
12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Lise, A big warm welcome to the BPN family...:) I like your unusual walking capture...the head angle is off, but I don't mind, because you capture Mr. Owl in a hurry going to a place that perked his interest. I like the fine feather details. There seems to be a slight blue color cast which can be corrected in post processing...a super capture...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Lise De Serres
12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Jeff, the shot was taken with a Nikon D300 + 300mmVR 2.8 with TC 1.4X. Yes, in winter, I prefer to have the histogram more on the right to reflect the cold colours. The shot was not taken manuel but aperture priority and with the "mesure matricielle", (sorry, I don't know this one in english) maybe that's why there's a slight blue color cast. No change in the WB, I left it at 5200 (sunny condition on my camera). It was taken about 1 hour from Montreal, up north!
Thank you for your comments and welcome!
Lise

kostas nianiopoulos
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
verry good image Lisse , sharp to me , with nice white ... well done .

Oscar Zangroniz
12-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Great composition and very well exposed. Love that style

Jeff Cashdollar
12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
So you used AV mode. I assume you used some EV (exposure compensation) and either used light meter or trial and error with histogram. If you get a chance send more images, love this species and you nailed it.

Alfred Forns
12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Love this image !!! Big Warm Welcome !!! The foot up in the air with claws out is just great !!

Prefer the color temp as presented, slight blue cast looks just fine and accurate Big Time Congrats on this one !!!!

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi Lise - another big warm welcome to the BPN family - awesome first post- Looks like he is on a mission, love the pose.
Exposure looks right on the money.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Bill Dix
12-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Amazing walking pose and fantastic eye. Well captured and composed. Congratulations!

scott benson
12-13-2009, 05:37 AM
love this shot.

Harshad Barve
12-15-2009, 07:43 AM
PRICELESS :):):)
TFS