PDA

View Full Version : Off for the Day

Richard Waas
12-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I photographed this image at Bosque del Apache on tripod with my Canon 50D at sunrise. It was 12 degrees but a beautiful day unlike the day before when it snowed and was dreary. Photographing these birde was a learning experience since it was my first time using my Wimberley and my 500mm. ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, EF500mm f/4.0L IS USM, 800mm, Evaluative Metering, Auto Exposure, Auto WB, No Flash. Comments Welcome

Alfred Forns
12-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Richard Snow is neat at Bosque and a good thing !!! :)

Surprised this bird had legs out being that cold, normally they retract them !!!

You must have been at the Crane Pools, Love the light but surprised the bird looks so warm, always rather have wings all the way up or down Didn't see the compensation but looks a little under. Did get a razor sharp image and just perfect orientation !!! Your having one supper trip !!!

David Stephens
12-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I'll get down to Bosque myself soon I hope. Richard, I love the shot and wouldn't change it.

Alfred, I'm thinking that this may not be underexposed, but is a little darker, with reddish tint due to the redness early light. How do we noobs really know, other than the eye? I go out at dawn and dusk a lot and see this coloring a lot. If there's an objective way to determine that it's underexposed, I'd like to know it.

Thanks,

Dave

Richard Waas
12-10-2009, 03:24 PM
This image was taken at first light and the birds are quite dark and the reds do come thru. There was no under exposure dialed in. I've got a few more I'll post and we'll see if they look warm too......

David Stephens
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes Richard, I'm curious to see. Even without you saying so, I see this image and think to myself, "morning light." Isn't that what we want? :confused:

Dave

Gus Cobos
12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I like it as presented Mr. Waas...A nice capture with good details, good color rendition, a good head angle and sharp eye...well done...keep them coming...:cool:

Oscar Zangroniz
12-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Great capture and indeed very sharp. Like the tones on the bird.
Congrats

Jeff Cashdollar
12-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Looks good Richard, I thought maybe you leveraged warm light or used daylight WM as well. Techs looks good, tack-sharp.

Love it as presented, stay warm buddy, not like Miami.

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Hi Richard - works for me as is - sharp as a tack, sweet light - just a better wing position for my tastes.
Good show :)