PDA

View Full Version : Green Iguana

Michel Pilon
12-10-2009, 08:19 AM
http://parcours.pilonm.org/pictures/reptiles/iguaneVert1.jpg

EXIF: Panasonic FZ-20 (bridge) ISO100; 1/1000s; f4.0; hand-held without flash..

Hello,

I photographied that male green iguana during my last vacations in Venezuela (February 2007) where I visited for the first time that great country!

The green iguana is the unique iguana climbing trees...

We saw sometimes that fellow during my 14 days stay and that time I got my camera with me :-)

Any comments???

Thank you,

Michel Pilon
Quebec, Canada

Behavior:
In the wild, most disputes between iguanas take place over basking sites. There is usually adequate food for these herbivorous lizards, but good perches are limited. Basking is important for increasing body temperature and aiding digestion.

During the breeding season, males become territorial and display head bobbing, dewlap extension, and color changes. They will bite at each other. Injuries in the wild are rare, as there is ample space for males to retreat when threatened. However, in captivity where space is limited, injuries are more common. Females may also display some of these behaviors when nesting sites are limited.

Green iguanas may travel considerable distances in several cases. Females migrate to the same nesting site for several years in a row, then travel back to their home territory once their eggs are laid. Hatchlings may disperse over large distances as well (Alberts et. al., 2004).

When frightened, an iguana will usually freeze or hide. If caught, twisting and rotating around or tail whipping may occur. Like many other lizards, iguanas can autotomatize, or drop of part of their tail. This gives them a chance to escape before their predator figures out what is going on. A new tail will sprout from the autotomatized spot and regrow with in a year, though not to the length it was before.

Alfred Forns
12-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Michel

Excellent capture and you did managed a pleasing bg ... not easy on a tree !!! As presented would crop from the bottom since the foot is clipped ... better to cut in person and will make the face more prominent which is focus of the image.

Sharp, well exposed and appealing !!! Mighty fine image !!!

Steve Kaluski
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi Michel, I think Alfred is absolutely spot on with his observations, nothing I would wish to add to hit, nice image.

Steve

Michel Pilon
12-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Thank you very much Alfred and Steve for your pertinent and appreciated comments!

I agree for the clipping I should have took this picture with the whole leg at first (it is a full frame pic). But I'm hesitating to clip it more because I like the natural frame formed by the leaves giving a kind of 3D effect to the whole picture...

Cheers!

Michel