PDA

View Full Version : One Tree Dune

Morkel Erasmus
12-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Hi everyone!

Here I go with a SINGLE EXPOSURE for a change - can you believe it ;):D

I am off on a 6-day trip to the Kruger National Park tomorrow, and will be on sporadic on-off holiday until the 3rd of January, so this might be my last post in "Landscapes" for 2009. :cool:

Thanks so much to everyone on BPN for their kind comments and honest critique...I have enjoyed learning from each and every one of you. It is a truly special community and I feel privileged to be a part of it.

This shot created in the Kalahari, in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, in South Africa. Shot from the car window (you are not allowed to get out of your vehicle).

All comments welcome!

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f11 @ 1/160 SS @ ISO-100
Exp +0.3

Robert Amoruso
12-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Have a good trip.

A single exposure is all you needed here and knowing when to use a multiple exposure and when not too is important - so good choice.

I thought the image needed more punch so did the following and reposted.

Selective color and added black to BLUE & CYAN (make sky darker), subtracted black (make clouds whiter), and added black to neutral to punch up the FG and make it match the more dramatic sky better.

I like the comp and placement of the tree in relation to the clouds - the eye follows both into the sky. I also like the diagonal slant of the hill. Another comp here is going closer to the tree and getting it against the sky and not cut by the horizon. But as I recall you mentioned you could not leave the road here - am I right?

Dave Mills
12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Morkel, Agree with all points Robert mentioned. I like what Robert did to the sky since it is an integral part of the image. Without the sky having strength there is no point devoting that much space to it. I might crop a bit off the top to above the curled cloud on the right...

Morkel Erasmus
12-11-2009, 12:48 AM
thanks for the comments Dave & Robert...

also thanks for taking the time to apply a few tweaks, Robert - your version certainly has a bit more punch...:)

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Morkel,
I'd imagine same vehicle restrictions here?....what....no upside down tripod holding:D.....well handled overall.