PDA

View Full Version : More ice?

Steve Kaluski
12-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thought I might venture over to this section as I am more of a Wildlife photographer than a landscape one, but guess no harm in trying. The problem I have is I can never see the picture, if you know what I mean, however here goes.

Taken in Svalbard this year just as the pack ice was forming. We were about 400 miles away from the North Pole, fun hey:D Normally the scenery is flat with occasional islands and these wonderful Icebergs dotted every now and then. BTW the main reason for being there was for the Polar bears. Quite liked the Glaucous gulls on the top.

Steve
MKIII 24-70 f/2.8 1/100 f/11 ISO400 (hand held with the sway of the boat too, not ideal for a sharp image!)

Harshad Barve
12-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi Steve
I have no clues about landscape images whatsoever but this is ridicuosly beautiful image , two birds on top of icebergs are too hot to handle;):D

I am sure this will look stunner when prinetd in big size
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
12-10-2009, 05:40 AM
this is stunning Steve. ice always a tricky subject (speaking like I've shot iceberg before haha). love the hues of blue you captured and the two birds but the 'icing' on the cake :)

Robert Amoruso
12-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Steve,

I certainly would not mind going here. Cool looking formation. With the blue shadow cast in the ice, you probably did not see the blue color cast in the clouds. It is subtle but present.

I would suggest experimenting with a tighter crop. I tried some but did not find one to recommend. I find my eye looking around the extremities of the formation more then I feel it should. Perhaps Roman and the other regulars will have a good suggest for you.

Thanks for posting and hope you have more images to share with us.

Steve Kaluski
12-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi guys, I think you and I Harshad have very thoughts, 'we haven't got a clue'. :-)

Thank Mork, will post a few P Bears closer to Xmas for you.

Robert, there is a hint of blue, guess a mask might help? Always open to suggestion, as cropping is very personal thing I guess. Will look out for other advice hopefully. Will need to intersperse with the Wildlife peeps :-)

Thanks for comments everyone.
Steve

Robert Amoruso
12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Steve,

You need to do a gray point balance using the levels correction. Select the gray pen and click on a pixel that is nearly neutral - moosing around while watching the info display, look for values of RGB nearly the same. Click on it and that helps to balance the neutrals in the image.

I have an extensive tutorial I give to my workshop participants I can share with you. Send me your email in a a PM and I will send it.

Dave Mills
12-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Steve, Interesting formation. The only crop I could suggest is a small bit off the top just under all rights reserved. The foreground ice is nice and the birds add another element.

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey Steve,
If i would recommend a crop....it would be the one Dave suggested.....but I still find the OP very effective so no real need for it. This has many interesting diagonal comps and very well done off the moving boat keeping it sharp where needed. For me the broken up ice in the FG makes this even more special (more than the birds) and you did nicely composing it too!

D. Robert Franz
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I think the image is well presented. Love the gulls really makes the image...

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Loved it a lot. There is a tense sense in it....like the iceberg is going to go down or something and making the gulls a little anxious.