PDA

View Full Version : Repost from Questions Area

VinceRossi
12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry if I am doing this all wrong. But I am not sure of what I am doind as I am new. Here is a post from the questions and tips area I posted.

I don't know if this is the correct place to respond. I am new to the site and it was suggested that I come to this area. I am new to PhotoShop also and hear things being mentioned that I have never used before. It seems as though it will be a very usefull location on this site.
One thing about this BPN is used can spend a lifetime going through all the things that are available to you. So if I don't repond it is because of time restrictions ( as I am sure we all have)
Another thing as I said I am new and also lviing in New Jersey USA I find it quite limited as to the bird availability and the fact that I am somewhat disable and can't walk long distances I am quite limted as to what I can shoot. So, ther might be many time when you might see repeaticians of what I submit.
I don't know if there is a place here for me to post a picture but I will try. I am also going to SHOW it up in Aviary Thread. I know it needs much help but I still like the picture.

Here are the specs for the picture.
Aperature Priority, 1/500, F5.6,220,ISO 100.
Picture was worked on in ACR and PhotoShop CS4 Ext. and also the filter Topaz Adjust. If you think it is bad now you should have seen it before.
<!-- / message -->

<!-- edit note -->
<HR SIZE=1>Last edited by VinceRossi (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/posthistory.php?p=399556); Today at 12:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the specs of pic.
<!-- / edit note -->

Alfred Forns
12-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi Vince Big Warm Welcome and you are in the right place !!!

Just try to learn/practice one thing at a time and in no time all will be clear !!

Image wise I like the action pose, fairly clean for a nest and it is sharp. Exposure wise let us know the compensation since it makes all the difference.

PS wise there is quite a lot, I can see a strong halo around the image probably from shadow/highlight, some color casts and the body of the bird (whites) have been lightened .. now look sort of muddy.

For this one I would like if you could post the original (downsized to posting size) without any enhancements, we might be able to guide on what to do !! btw you will get lots more feedback here than in birds !! Will check back later this afternoon for your image but I'm sure some others will ring in before I get to it !!!

Gus Cobos
12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Vince,
A big warm welcome to our BPN family. The Eager To Learn forum is the right place to be. I like your capture. A few points to consider. Looking at your EXIF data, I see that your ISO factor is very low. You can crank up the ISO to 1/1,000sec all the way up to 1/1,600sec with no problem at all from your Nikon D5000...In raising your ISO factor, the shutter speed will increase, thus affording you more details and eliminating that muted, flat dab look in the feathers:)
A problem that we all face is the lighting; your light was harsh and was shinning your your subject from the eleven o'clock position, thus casting a shadow, on half of the bird and the perch. A constant reminder for all photographer from the green pea to the most seasoned pro is to always watch for and track your lighting. Under ideal conditions, the sun should be in back of you for even illumination of the subject. Also there is a blue color cast which is an easy fix in CS4. I recommend opening up the mid-tones just a tad to bring out whatever details you have in the under wing and the perch. Would also set your black point. The two vertical branches can be cloned out because one is going through the wing, and the outer left one is touching the nice wing tips. The focus point was not on the eye area, the eye is a tad soft; would selective sharpen it and open up the area around it.
This capture is not as bad as you think it is...its the beginning and a learning process that we all go through, even myself. We are constantly learning every day. Practice makes better...so, practice, practice and practice...before long you will be hitting the home runs...:D Once again, I want to welcome you as an added brother to our BPN family...and I'm looking forward to your next one Vince...keep them coming.

By the way, if you have any other questions that I can help you with, feel free to PM (private message me). I will be more than happy to assist you...:)

Welcome Vince...:cool:

Sincerely,

Gus Cobos

VinceRossi
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
This the original I have tried to downsize it to 640x480 hope that helps.

VinceRossi
12-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Ok... I am confused. You mentioned that the ISO of 100 is low. I was always told in bright light situations to shoot at the lowest ISO available. I am shooting in Aperature control where I had the aperature set at f5.6 thus the camera take sover and sets the SPEED with a fixed ISO of 100. Not being cute about this, just truly confused.

Alfred Forns
12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Vince

You should set the ISO according to need, 1/500 is not all that fast and could use more shutter speed, a setting of ISO 400 will be very close in quality to the lower. Do the test, shoot same scene at different ISO and compare. btw by increasing the ISO noise increases in dark areas of the image, however most cameras can deal with 800 with some noise reduction !!

Light wise its very harsh and difficult to expose since you will block the shadows or blow the whites, nothing much you can do. Try earlier in the day or very late !!

Great for posting the original, sure helps. Generally a crop this large will never produce quality results, all little faults being magnified, a little more focal length would sure help !! Looking forward to the next one !!

Oscar Zangroniz
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Great action shot Vince. Excellent advice fro Al and Gus.
Keep them coming.

Lance Peters
12-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Hi Vince a big warm welcome to the BPN Family - great advice given by Gus and AL above - might seem a little daunting at first - but you will soon get the hang of it.
Arties books are invaluable to the learning process as is the educational resources forum.
Looking forward to seeing more :)