PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Mount Ring issues with Canon 400mm f/5.6L

Ed Vatza
02-17-2008, 07:56 AM
I purchased this lens in Spring 2007 and haven't had a problem until this winter. Now when I head out in sub-freezing temps (something all you Floridians don't have to deal with :D), The tripod mounting ring seems to constantly "loosen" and the camera/lens starts to turn in the mount. I say "loosen" but it doesn't really seem to loosen at all. Is this due to the cold and minute contraction or what? It is really annoying particularly when carrying camera/lens/flash/bracket/beamer/tripod over my shoulder and the whole kaboodle starts to rotate.

angelique raptakis
02-23-2008, 11:57 PM
I encountered the same problem this winter. I put a small piece of folded gaffers tape in the small hole where the tripod collar latches. Gives it a snug fit and keeps the lens from rotating.

W T Lloyd
02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I had 400 f/5.6 at one time, and that was my only complaint, the tripod ring wouldn't stay locked tight....

David Kennedy
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Dad and I both had this problem this week up here in Wisconsin. It was cold outside and the tripod collars for both of our 70-200 f/4's were suddenly "loose." Later that night, when we were putting equipment away, we noticed that after warming back up, the collars were both very firm, like they normally are. There's definitely some contraction going on out in the cold. I agree with Angelique: I put one small strip of gaffers tape on the ring and that seems to compensate for the contraction of the cushioning material out in the cold.
If you don't have gaffers tape, masking would probably work, but it wouldn't hurt to buy a roll of the tape just to have. It's extremely useful and leaves little to no adhesive residue when removed.