PDA

View Full Version : Two species

Ilija Dukovski
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
The two on the left are Tree and the ones on the right are House Sparrows.
Taken about a month ago in Macedonia. These two related species form large flock
this time of the year. This was a flock of about 100 or so. Quite a chaotic bunch.
CC appreciated.

Nikon D80 300mm+TC1.4 f/5.6 1/2000 ISO400 Matrix AP as metered.

Randy Stout
12-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Ilija:

Interesting array of poses. Provides extra species detail, all in one picture.

I like the curved perch end.

From an esthetic standpoint, I wish the second bird from the left wasn't preening, but it does display the wings well.

I do find myself lingering on this image, going from one bird to another to compare them. This is always a good point for a photo if it makes you want to look at it again.

Cheers

Randy

Stephen Stephen
12-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Ilija I like this image too. Even though there's not eye contact for each bird the various positions (preening, looking left, looking right, looking down) still tell a story of activity.

Dave Leroy
12-08-2009, 11:59 PM
A very interesting photo. The four birds appear to be completely unaware of each other and are all doing their own thing, like a subway or a bus stop. It is also nice to see two different types of similiar birds together. Dave

denise ippolito
12-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Ilija, The thing that strikes me first is the curved tip of the branch and how it frames the scene. Nice even separation of the birds and good details make this a very pleasing composition. Nicely seen.

Ilija Dukovski
12-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Thank you for your kind comments, I thought I'll experiment a bit with comp here.
I'm glad you liked it.

Cheers,

kenn threed
12-09-2009, 08:49 PM
A nice crisp image with interesting poses by 2 different species together.
I presume this is the Macedonia (of the Balkan Peninsula), and not some small town in Massachusettes. The Eurasian Tree Sparrow is a rare sighting in the US... only seen in a very small portion of the mid-west.

Kenn

Ilija Dukovski
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I presume this is the Macedonia (of the Balkan Peninsula), and not some small town in Massachusettes.
Funny that you mention, yes there are towns in US named Macedonia.
One is Macedonia, OH for example. None that I know in MA though:)

The image was taken in the Republic of Macedonia, (there are two more provinces in Greece and Bulgaria under the same name), in the capital Skopje. The Tree Sparrow prefers the fields in Europe, not human settlements like the House Sparrow. That is perhaps the reason why it did not find an empty niche in N. America and invaded it like its cousin the House Sparrow.

Thanks for the comment:)

kenn threed
12-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Funny that you mention, yes there are towns in US named Macedonia.
One is Macedonia, OH for example. None that I know in MA though:)

The image was taken in the Republic of Macedonia, (there are two more provinces in Greece and Bulgaria under the same name), in the capital Skopje. The Tree Sparrow prefers the fields in Europe, not human settlements like the House Sparrow. That is perhaps the reason why it did not find an empty niche in N. America and invaded it like its cousin the House Sparrow.

Thanks for the comment:)
Hi Ilija,

It so happens that we are among the few lucky ones to ever see this rare Sparrow here in the US. We actually captured a pair of them here in our yard not long ago, and it was a big surprise for us! Temple took a few shots of two together which sadly didn't turn out too good, but this one shot alone makes a very nice record shot of this lifer for us:

http://kenn3d.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-Blossoms-Butterflies-VOL/EurasianTreeSparrow4814/712287641_pzM5n-XL.jpg

We are watchful for any other chance to shoot them again.

best regards,

Kenn

Kenn & Temple
Backyard Birders in St.Louis, MO
http://kenn3d.smugmug.com (http://kenn3d.smugmug.com/)