PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eyed Junco

Bob Decker
12-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Offering #2 from yesterday's outing, a Dark Eyed Junco. This was shot along a nature trail running through a portion of the Croatan National Forest. While setting up my camera in the parking lot I looked up to see a large bird flying back in the woods... white tail... black body... WHITE HEAD!!! Unfortunatly I was unable to find where he perched... if he perched... but I always get especially excited at just spying a Bald Eagle. One of these days. ;) Now, back to the Junco.

I noticed serveral little birds in one thicket. I set-up with the sun at my back and waited. I spoted the Dark Eyed Junco, a Mocking Bird and a Yellow Rumpped Warbler. This was the cleanest shot I got due to all the brush. Post included the removal of a lot of limbs and branches, sharpening on the bird, noise reduction on the background. Shooting exposure data: 40D, Bigma @ 500mm, f8, iso 400, 1/400, 580 EX II w/BB at -2.

Gus Cobos
12-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi Bob,
I like the composition and capture...the main issue here is the angle of light coming in producing a double shadow across the bird's face. Perhaps fill flash could have helped. I do like the natural habitat. You have a good head angle with direct sharp eye contact and the background compliments your subject quite well. The color rendition is very good. Looking forward to your next one Sir...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi Bob Image looks good Like suggestions by Gus !! With these little guys all you can do is move he tripod inches back and forth to clean up the bg behind the bird .. avid merges when possible Do like the capture and a keeper in my book !!!

Bob Decker
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks Gus, Alfred. He landed a little off to the left of where I was primarily trying to work, hence the bit of side-lighting/shadows. But what are you going to do? They have minds of their own. ;) I was firing a bit of flash... @ -2... more might have helped fill the shadows. I don't mind a hint of flash but I don't particularly like heavily flashed bird photos hence my tendancy to use -2 to -3 on my flash. I may need to play with a bit more. The little guys sure don't sit still long to give you a chance to experiment.