PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Sanderling

Bill Dix
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
D90; 80-400 @ 400mm; ISO 400, f/6.3 @ 1/3200s; Matrix metering @ -1.3 EV. Aperture priority. HH.

Yet another sanderling, early morning at Blind Pass several weeks ago. I can't claim eye contact on this one since his eyes were almost closed, but I liked the down-on-the-elbows (knees??) pose. C&C welcome. (PS: As I look at this, about to post, I think I see a bit of a sharpening or S&H halo around the head.)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes I like the pose too and don't mind at all about the nearly close eye since it show me that the bird is in peaceful state. The low angle view is nice too. As you already mentioned I see small artifacts around the bird, probably from sharpening, might use bush tool and mask then paint away the sharpening around the bird. Not sure about the shutter speed, might trade it for lower ISO.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Bill, good self analysis, I see the trail of artifacts around head from sharpening or NR. Exposure tecks looks good, need to define a workflow, sequence events then practice, look into Topaz Remask tool as well. Great extraction tool to put subjects on a separate layer. Additionally, new sharpening & NR technology and from NIK and Topaz make the selection process easier (e.g. sharpening & NR) you can try free for 15 days before buying as well.

This is a great shot, nice DoF and HA. I love the composition which is something not easy to teach - well done.

Bill Dix
12-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks Guys. As Thanaboon suggests, I can remove the artifacts without too much difficulty. I use Topaz Denoise which is a useful tool for NR with some sharpening built in. Topaz Remask looks great, but unfortunately it doesn't work with Photoshop Elements. That's one more in the growing list of reasons to upgrade to full Photoshop if I ever come up with some spare change. I appreciate the comments.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Good stuff, do not forget the workflow (WF). Sometimes the sequencing of the tasks can affect other events. It is not just removing artifacts IMO - cleaning up is a defined part of the workflow prior to posting - keep em coming my friend.

Regarding WF - Al & Artie have published documentation on leading practices in this regard.

Gus Cobos
12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the sleeping foward position, and the ultra low capture angle on your little guy. You have good color rendition with nice sharp feather details...good advise given by Mr. Cashdollar. The natural habitat showcases him quite well...congrats, looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Bill Dix
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Good stuff, do not forget the workflow (WF). Sometimes the sequencing of the tasks can affect other events. It is not just removing artifacts IMO - cleaning up is a defined part of the workflow prior to posting - keep em coming my friend.

Regarding WF - Al & Artie have published documentation on leading practices in this regard.

Thanks Jeff. I forgot to mention that I religiously follow Artie's suggested workflow.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Bill, good to hear.

Oscar Zangroniz
12-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Great pose and I like the low angle.
Congrats

Declan Troy
12-09-2009, 01:41 PM
This guy is standing just like you do. That joint on the ground is the bird equivalent of an ankle. The knee (next joint up) is up close to the body, think fat end of drumstick. Birds like to run around on their toes.

Alfred Forns
12-10-2009, 12:20 AM
I like it a lot Bill Great comments and can add I would take a little of the top Sweet light, lots of detail and excellent feel !!! ...btw with these low angle images you can afford to stop down an little more if you wish since the bg will not come into play !!

Bill Dix
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Thank you all for the helpful and encouraging comments. And Declan for the anatomy lesson. I never knew that.