PDA

View Full Version : Predawn in Colorado

David Stephens
12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
This was maybe ten or fifteen minutes before sunrise. This is pretty much as I've cropped in the camera. The horizon is actually not flat here, lifting up to the right, but it'd be easy to think that's lens distortion. In the large size I think it might be stronger with the horizon totally cropped out, as well as that cottomwood to the left; however, in smaller "Medium" internet sizes I think that the tree kind of anchors the sky. I'm curious to read your inputs.

Taken with my Canon 5D MkII with the EF 24-105mm f4L IS lens at 24mm and f4, ISO 3200 and 0-EV, aperture priority resulting in 1/640-sec handheld (my 7D and 400mm were on the tripod pointing at the pond to my left that you can't see here). This was processed with DxO's Optics Pro 5.6, mainly for NR, which DxO does first in RAW conversion. That saturation is actually natural. Here's the image:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4123272573_6f97dba26a_b.jpg

There's an interesting side story. I was here setting up for a shot of the geese taking off from the pond just to the left of the cottonwood and another photog drove up and shot pretty much the same pond perspective using a 600mm f4L IS on a Wimberly rig mounted on his Toyota truck's window. We both waited a good thirty minutes for the geese to lift off (they must have been the last gaggle out that morning). After the liftoff I introduced myself and found that I was talking to Bob Rozinski, a Colorado based nature photographer. We both live five minutes from this spot. We now see each other fairly regularly at this state park.

Your feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Dave

Dave Mills
12-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi David, One fabulous sky!!! proving the early bird gets the shot! The tree on the left I feel is an important element which gives a sense of scale and interest without competing with the sky(hard to do) If you eliminate the ground and tree you take away the sense of place. You would still have a strong image but I like the silouette. If this were mine I might add just a bit more to the bottom...not much...Lots of impact here!!

Robert Amoruso
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I like how the main cloud formation mimics the shape of the tree - and combined with the tree's placement, that aspect strengthens the image.

Agree with Dave that a little more ground would be good.

David Stephens
12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree Dave. I kept trying to take the tree or horizon out and it lost impact no matter how I cropped it. I hadn't even thought of adding a little canvas to the bottom, just to flesh that out a little more. In the camera I avoided some elements along the bottom, but, since we're in silouette, that should be a relatively easy improvement.

Dave

David Stephens
12-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Robert, I hadn't even notice the tree-sky mimic. Maybe that subconsciously is the element that kept pulling me to this take on the scene.

I tried a bunch of different focal lengths and a number of vertical images solely on the clouds. This one kept rising to the top.

I can't add canvas here at the office, but hopefully I can get to it tonight.

Dave

Nick Palmieri
12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Maybe just silhouette the entire bottom of the image since the tree and left side are already silhouetted. Great sky!

Phil Ginn
12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Great sky. Really enjoy the image. Would like to see what it looks like with a little more land.

David Stephens
12-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I had a computer blow up yesterday, trying to install some updates. I may be this weekend before I can show an alternative. Sorry.

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey David,
Excellent advice given above.....killer sky!