PDA

View Full Version : HDR or no HDR

susanschermer
12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I am trying to learn how and when to use HDR. The previous posts were all HDR. In this post, I used one of the same files used in the second Virgin River HDR, but I only used one darker file. I made a curves adjustment to lighten the FG and masked out the BG. I think the result looks better than the HDR's which look as natural as I could make them look in tone-mapping - not very natural to my eye. I somehow think that HDR is better used when the scene needs some extra punch, as this scene did not.

Robert Amoruso
12-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I agree Susan. I find blending two images is many times the better solution. I think that you proved that here. Nice going.

Dave Mills
12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Susan, I also agree...this looks like the best of the group. Good job in handling the exposure where the clouds could have easily been blown out!

Paul Marcellini
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I always manually blend and prefer that. this came out very ice Susan, I would just darken the sky a touch more. Sometimes adding black in selective color to the blues/cyans can give it a touch of punch and bring it down. Good to see you the other night.

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey Susan,
VG advice given above......can't add much but this one is definitely the best processing for my eyes!