PDA

View Full Version : Tigress : Undivided Attention

Kiran Khanzode
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
After regular visits to India's National Parks/ Tiger Reserves, I have come to realize that it's much tougher to get a private sighting of Tigers these days. Sightings worthy of photography are few and far between. You take what you can get.

This was taken from a semi-private sighting (4-5 jeeps) one evening. I had her undivided attention for a brief period before she walked off to drink water and move away from us. She exhibited various behaviors during this session including scent-marking, flehmen response, spray marking and stalking. I have documented those shots and will share them once I get rid of this jet lag.

Here's one where she appears to be stalking me, but in reality, is not. :-)

This is the lesser known Digdola Tigress from Kanha National Park, India. She resides high up in the hills of Digdola.

Techs: EOS 7D, 300mm @2.8, ISO 640, 1/500, Beanbag on jeep.

Kiran

Harshad Barve
12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
terrifc eye contact and lighting works for me , nice details and you know that I love your compos:)
TFS

Dave Leroy
12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Wonderful photo. She looks like a lean, mean stalking machine. You must have been pretty close with a 300mm. Very nice light. Dave

DanWalters
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Love the head-on view and the colors. The eyes are very intense.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Love those eyes and the low angle. Really a very compelling capture !!!!

Steve Canuel
12-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice comp. I like the sinewy curve of the body and the way the paws line up. Pretty good sharpness and color too.

Danny J Brown
12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Kiran - We've seen a lot of tiger shots but I'm sure glad you submitted this one because it is, to use an adjective from the great A.M............killer.....all the way. Lovely capture my friend.

Ken Watkins
12-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Kiran,

This is remarkably good and goes to show that whatever nonsense is going on around the sighting that tremendous images can still be obtained. I can try to imagine this is a lone sighting and everything is quiet.

Steve Kaluski
12-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Great POV on this one Kiran, very good.

It's a fine line between Private & Public sightings for obvious photographic reasons, but the more people can see that to have 'bums' on seats and the revenue it brings in for the locals, the community and reserve which might slow down the poaching.

cheers
Steve

Betsie Storm
12-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Kiran, lovely image, easy to imagine you were alone with the lady. Agree with Steve's comment.

Morkel Erasmus
12-08-2009, 09:49 AM
great viewpoints shared above - Steve is right, although us togs want it all for ourselves all the time :)

this is one stunning tiger image Kiran! just love the stare, comp and colours. super sharp too. presume your 7D behaved very well in India :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Kiran...excellent excellent image. Loved it a lot...low angle tiger images are uncommon. Looks like she was on ground higher than your car.

Kiran Khanzode
12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Kiran...excellent excellent image. Loved it a lot...low angle tiger images are uncommon. Looks like she was on ground higher than your car.

Thanks, Kaustubh ! Your observation is absolutely correct. This tigress was on a slight slope, coming down towards me. My driver had parked the vehicle in reverse in time so I could get an even lower angle from the rear seat (instead of me using the metal frame in the center row in a front facing situation). :-).

Kiran