PDA

View Full Version : Grey Seal pup

John Harper
12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi There

Spent last weekend on a beach in Lincolnshire here in the UK, photographing the Grey Seal colony. It is one of the largest breeding colonies in Europe and the colony has produced over 1000 pups in November & December.

You can walk out to one of many sand bars that the seals bask on but its quite a walk (40 mins each way) but well worth the effort.

This shot is a young pup just waking up from his snooze and stretching his flippers, (or if you prefer calling the waiter over to order lunch).

Hope you like

John

EOS 1DMKIII EF 500 F4 ISO 400 1/800 @ F4

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/cff/please-sir.jpg

Steve Kaluski
12-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Ahh, a weekend in the sandblaster hey John, trust you didn't get too wet. Certainly a place I keep well away from :-)

Good POV and a little interaction with the seal. Would have liked to see less room on the r/h side and more on the left avoiding the 'mother' seal in the BG, still a cute shot. I hope you had good cover over the kit, otherwise there will be a lot of cleaning this week. LOL

Hope to see more.

cheers
Steve

John Harper
12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Ahh, a weekend in the sandblaster hey John, trust you didn't get too wet. Certainly a place I keep well away from :-)

Good POV and a little interaction with the seal. Would have liked to see less room on the r/h side and more on the left avoiding the 'mother' seal in the BG, still a cute shot. I hope you had good cover over the kit, otherwise there will be a lot of cleaning this week. LOL

Hope to see more.

cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

It was my 1st visit there so didn't know what to expect really. the wind wasn't too bad but I had a Think Tank Hydrophobia cover on the camera and lens so they appear to have survived OK.

Take on board your comments on the seal in the background, and will try to remember that in future. I have several more shots that might be of interest so i will post them over the next few days.

John

Harshad Barve
12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
lovely image , nice techs , if mine I may try clone OOF seal in BG
TFS

DanWalters
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I like the colors and the soft light. Like the raised flipper as well.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-07-2009, 09:32 PM
This calls for a cuteness alert. Beautiful capture moment of little pup and I love the action you captured John. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Canuel
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice pano comp. Great pose on the seal and I like the golden brown tone. I agree with Steve K's suggestion about space.

Danny J Brown
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey John - Nice low angle capture of an absolutely sweet little critter. Good advice from SK above on the composition.

Ken Watkins
12-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Very nice indeed, a little more space on the left would be nice.

Steve Kaluski
12-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi John

Donna can be great if you are lucky with the weather, crowds and seals behaving well. The location is renowned for huge crowds, lack of respect for the animals (in all senses of the word) and the hike. From last years stories/reports I might have been tempted to leave some people out there and let the RAF do there job, LOL!

All the best
Steve

Betsie Storm
12-08-2009, 06:18 AM
John, Lovely image with cute subject & pose & colours. Like the sand in his fur. Thanks for sharing, we do not see many marine mammals here.

David Fletcher
12-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Excellent shot John. Like Steve's suggestions too and the oof seal Harshad mentioned. Heard it gets busy up there in the sand blaster, as well as biting cold. On this occasion, rather you than me. Thanks very much for sharing this cutie.

John Harper
12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi There

Thanks to everybody for the positive comments on the photo and i post below a tweaked shot based on Steve's & others comments as to the composition and the OOF seal in the background.

Has this improved the shot in your opinions? or have I done my usual Photoshop trick and made it worse ?.

Comments appreciated.

John

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/cff/please-sir02.jpg

Steve Kaluski
12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
John, much better, if you add a tad more to the top and lose a little of the foreground I think you will have a cracker!

Steve

John Harper
12-08-2009, 10:15 AM
John, much better, if you add a tad more to the top and lose a little of the foreground I think you will have a cracker!

Steve

Steve

Thanks for your advice....Something like this?

John

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/cff/please-sir03.jpg

Steve Kaluski
12-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Yep :-) I think so...

Kurt Bowman
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Terrific improvement!

Danny Laredo
12-15-2009, 06:19 AM
The repost is a big improvment.
Lovely image John.