PDA

View Full Version : Ground squirrel

Betsie Storm
12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Herewith the African cousin- the southern ground squirrel.This image was taken in Dec 2008 in Kgalagadi TP, at the entrance to the Mata-Mata camp. The ground squirrels live in burrows, in this case under a large tree. The bushy tail is used as sun shade, unfortunately this one did not pose "properly" as it was sitting in the tree shade, enjoying a seed pod. They are lots of fun to watch going about their business. Image was cropped, slight ACR adjustment, some selective levels/contrast adjustment, sharpened.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
Date/Time: 2008:12:27 12:28:26
Shutter speed: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 500
Focal length: 400mm
Lens: 100-400 F5.6

Just spotted some dust bunnies top LH & RH corners....arghh!!

Steve Kaluski
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Betsie, I think we might have the full range of 'Squirrels' from around the world, soon :-) This one looks more like the phrase we have here in the UK 'tree rat' not very becoming, but this species does look rather scrawny. I have seen them in groups having a mutual preen.

Re the image, I think you could have got away with say f/5.6 increasing your shutter speed and reducing the ISO based on the settings/POV. IMHO, it does look a tad over sharpened, also has it been cropped? Perhaps a slight tweak in curves might help, as it does appear not to have any real 'blacks' in the image, which in turn might help the eye etc. Good detail, however would like to see a lower POV.

Think I should have that on my 'tomb stone' LOL

Not sure if this helps.

All the best.
Steve

Harshad Barve
12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I think Steve said it all but I am loving that tail for sure
TFS

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Wow that is some tail and I too love the feet. Beautiful capture and excellent detail. Steve has covered it all and thanks for sharing this with us.

Steve Canuel
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I like the tail, looks like a cup handle. Detail looks good, and I don't mind him looking away. Image needs a little tweak to give it some pop.

Danny J Brown
12-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey Betsie -- This little guy looks like a cross between a squirrel and a kangaroo!! I've never seen or heard of one of these guys so this is a great shot for me. I love the big eyes, huge feet and the way it is chewing on the pod. Cool shot.

Morkel Erasmus
12-08-2009, 05:40 AM
love these guys Betsie and no better place to take pictures of them than in Mata-Mata and Nossob rest camps in the Kgalagadi. wish he'd given you a better look.

David Fletcher
12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Nice one Betsie. fabulous details and comp. Everything else pretty well covered. WD!

Betsie Storm
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks all for kind comments & helpful suggestions. Will try improvements as suggested.....and will try to remember lower POV where it can be done:)!