340mm
ISO 400
f8 at 1/2000s
Manual mode
Matrix Metering
Dynamic, 9 points
Auto white balance
handheld

Shadow/Highlight protection, crop, curve to lighten and trying to bring out details in black, lighten iris, NR and sharpen.

Been looking for terns but they were on the wrong side of the bride with strong black light, so I decided to have fun with the gulls instead. After spend time with the gulls for a while I noticed something moving under the bridge, then suddenly this guy come up. Manage to get 3 shots, none are great but this is the third shot from the serie.

Since the setting was set for gull with direct sunlight, but this bird was under the bridge shadow (only part of the head and tail gets sunlight) so the original image was badly underexpose. The image look soft, the focus is not really on the eye, the color a bit strange due to lighten heavy underexpose image, but I still happy since I didn't expect to catch this guy in flight, so this tell me that someday I might be able to.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Mark Theriot
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
It's a nice quick capture for the corrections you had to make.

Yes, I agree it's soft, can your SW show you the focus point(s) used for capture? Also, what was the crop on this (and the distance?)

Mark

Jeff Cashdollar
12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Image looks soft and too centered in frame IMO. The narrative seems to suggest you were not properly ready/exposed for this guy, so nice recovery given the situation. I have never seem this species. Wings in down position look good - thanks for sharing.

Oscar Zangroniz
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Good HA and wing position. Just a little soft as mentioned.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-07-2009, 08:41 PM
About 33% of original. The software only show the starting focus point but not the one that was in use during the capture. Good point in bring it out, I just checked the focus point didn't show which mean it wasn't fully focus yet. Not sure about distance, it wasn't that far away but not close enough for nearly full frame at 340mm, here is the original full frame picture. Looks like I need to get my sensor clean soon.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/4167286273_e14598e449_o.jpg

Gus Cobos
12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Thanaboon,
I like the fine details in the feathers, you have a good head angle and the wings on the down stroke is a plus. I would suggest adding a tad more canvas to the left of the frame to give your subject more room to fly into and selective sharpen the eye just a little more...good show...looking forward to more...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Sure wish it was a full frame !!!

An interesting thought is the sensor size for new cameras, with MP going on there is more ability to crop and end up with similar image quality. So far I am not keeping heavy crops but do see the logic.

Light wise as you said nothing much you could have done, even on one of the auto modes you would have had to compensate like a demon !!!