PDA

View Full Version : New Moon after Sunset

Bob Reimer
02-16-2008, 11:24 PM
As I arrived at home on February 8th from checking birds and dragonflies at the sewage pools south of Al Ain, I noticed a very thin crescent moon with a nice glow remaining in the sky. According to one ephemeris, the moon should have been 1% illuminated. Sunset was at 6:07pm and this was taken at 6:39pm. I didn't want to take time to set up the tripod since the light changes quickly here at that time of day. This is a 4/3 crop taking off the top bit of but keeping full width.

Any post processing suggestions for this type of image?

D300 with 80-400VR at 110mm, f/8, 1/40sec, spot metered off the sliver of a moon, ISO 1600 EV -2.7

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi Bob,

I like the idea here and the placement of the trees in the bottom to anchor the image well thought out. The center placement of the moon is not working for me though. I recropped below to move the moon out of the center.

You did not mention a tripod and with the ISO at 1600 did you hand hold it? Tripod and lower ISO would have gotten rid of the noise. For this image, some noise removal will help.

Alfred Forns
02-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Love the re post by Robert

The only other suggestion I have is the sharpness Silhouettes need to be sharp to work well The edges of the tree look soft Do love the image High impact and beautiful !!!

Bob Reimer
02-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks Robert & Alfred! I like your crop, Robert. It makes it a more dynamic image. Yes, the image was made hand-held. I didn't have the collar on the 80-400, I don't have an L-plate for the D300 yet and there wasn't really time to set up AND catch the fading light. There was only a restricted angle of view where the trees more or less masked the the buildings, especially as there is a big mall at the end of the street. I'll work on the original more and see if I can't clean it up better. Thanks for the ideas!