PDA

View Full Version : Ross's Geese Leaving the Scene

Arthur Morris
12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Though I wish that I have taken off the 1.4X TC (I could have chosen an AF sensor below the central sensor), I was happy with this one, the best of a series of about 5.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS-1D Mark III. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop in early morning light: 1/500 sec. at f/11 set manually.

Don't be shy. All comments welcome.

ps: I think that there is one Snow Goose in the center rear.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Artie....very nice. Loved the low angle and the water splashes. A little CW rotation is needed, right?

denise ippolito
12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Artie, I enjoy images like this and the warm lighting looks very nice. As Kaustubh I like the water splashes and the low angle.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Beautiful warm lighting and low angle. Love the action you captured in this image as well as the crop you chose. Artie.

Juan Aragonés
12-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Artie I would be very happy with this one and I agree with your self critic about focal lenght. I think that the strongest point of this image is the action of a group of birds taking off. I think that in cases like this one, it is best a shorter focal lenght that allow to put more birds in the frame and to reinforce the feeling of a big flock. Of corurse, it is much better to capture the moment with the 800+1,4 than try to remove the teleconverter and to lose a great oportunity for a good image.
Light is really nice and you have a lot of eye contacts in the frame. Just beautiful :-)

Ilija Dukovski
12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Now that is an image with a rythm, and that Snow one does not break it at all:)
Very nice capture. I would consider a version with more crop on the water part too.
Beautiful light.

arash_hazeghi
12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Beautiful group take off here, there are fewer birds in the frame but it is possible to make individual connection with each of them, splashes are nice. Have you considered removing the clipped wing tip on the left border? Also if you put a ruler on the water line it needs slight cw rotation. Very strong group shot. TFS

Michael Zajac
12-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Artie, A very nice warm toned image. I like the splashing water and the uniform head angles.

Arthur Morris
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Artie....very nice. Loved the low angle and the water splashes. A little CW rotation is needed, right?

I rotated it a bit CW but did not want to lose any more of the image...

Axel Hildebrandt
12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I like the light, angle and takeoff poses. This is a species I still have to see. Out of curiosity, why did you leave the head of the bird on the left side in the image, too much empty space without it?

Arthur Morris
12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Yes, Axel; I left it there for compositional balance. I did consider losing it. You got me thinking about another option... Be right back.

Arthur Morris
12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
A slight crop from the rear to lose the single head...

I forgot to mention up front that I as down on the ground with the tripod legs shortened and flattened.

ps: I think now that it could use a little off the bottom....

Axel Hildebrandt
12-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I like the repost even better, not only because of the head but also because of the lost wing tip on the left.

Harshad Barve
12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Guruji
One beautiful image with Water splash , nice HA and KILLER lighting
TFS

Arthur Morris
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I like the repost even better, not only because of the head but also because of the lost wing tip on the left.

Agree. Thanks for prompting me to re-visit it.

And thanks again to all for commenting.

Kiran Poonacha
12-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Beautiful frame guru, loved the light and the water here, the low angle makes this.... TFS