PDA

View Full Version : Bontebok

Ken Watkins
12-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Having been inspired by Morkel's Blesbok I undertook a search of what is left after my hard drive failure, and could only find a few Bontebok.

Here is one taken in Bontebok National Park, Western Cape South Africa 7th March 2008

EOS 1D MkIIn

500mm F4 IS with 1.4 convertor hand-held

F7.1, 1/800, ISO 500

Steve Kaluski
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Ken, a nice looking animal and judging by his stance, he looks a little nervous/scared? LOL

Sorry to hear about you HD failure, trust Santa can resolve your issues.

cheers
Steve

Ken Watkins
12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Steve,
I think the stance is due to a need to pass something?

I only lost stuff taken at local parks, none of which were that good, replacing them with something hoperfully better will be an easy pleasure.

The Bontebok was once the most endangered Antelope in the world , now it has a reasonably large population thanks to SA parks and the efforts of some of the local populace.

Steve Kaluski
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Ken, I knew it was, but tried to be a little sensitive (which is rare for me LOL), guess he was marking his territory!

I wish you luck in compiling some new images and will look forward to seeing them in due course. Thanks for the info too, it's always good to have some interesting text with the image.

cheers
Steve

Betsie Storm
12-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I like this one, Ken, all sharp, well exposed and nicely in the habitat. I think I see a cloning shadow near the RH ear? Never seen a bontebok in real life, will have to visit the park.

Ken Watkins
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Betsie,

I see it as well although I have no idea how it got there, as I did no cloning in that area.
It has happened to others, strange to say the least.

Betsie Storm
12-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Must be the BPN cloning gremlin lying in wait for the unwary poster:):)
Pretty sure you would have spotted that one before posting:)

Kurt Bowman
12-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Ken, thanks for posting. I don't think I have seen too many photos of these.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Beautiful animal and a lovely capture. Very nice composition and I like the pose and direct stare in this image. Fine work and thanks for sharing Ken.

Steve Canuel
12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Must be a special animal to have a park named after it. Beautiful coat and colors. Nice BG as well. Maybe a bit more contrast/sharpening?

Ken Watkins
12-08-2009, 01:45 AM
A little more information on this animal

"The Bontebok National Park is situated in the foothills of the picturesque Langeberg Mountains, located in the region of Swellendam. The park was proclaimed in 1931 to prevent the last few remaining Bontebok from following the footsteps of the Blue Antelope into extinction.

The number of Bontebok has risen from a seriously endangered 17 to over 200, which is the maximum number the 3 486 hectare park can support without inflicting serious damage to it’s various plant communities.

Although the park can only support a limited amount of Bontebok, over the years its surplus stock has been disposed of to other nature reserves and private landowners with suitable habitat and the total world population now stands somewhere between 2000 – 3000."

Morkel Erasmus
12-08-2009, 05:38 AM
thanks for the image and info Ken...glad I inspired you since more often than not your images do the same for me :)

I am also curious with regards to the apparent ghosting of the ear? Looking at this the big difference with the blesbok is the white hind quarters and the dappled legs.

Betsie Storm
12-08-2009, 06:58 AM
And the face pattern, Morkel- if you have Chris & Tilde Stuart's field guide, have a look there for the comparison.

The two are subspecies; the bontebok was isolated in a small area (where the Reserve is now) and this subspecies with colouration/pattern distinction developed. The blesbok had a much wider distribution and roamed the grasslands in large numbers till indiscriminate hunting (I think early 1900's) reduced the numbers- now they only/mostly occur in reserves and on game farms. The two subspecies interbreed, which is a threat to keeping the bontebok gene pool clean; the two subspecies may not be kept in the same area.

This is what I recall, Ken, you may want to correct/add- they are in your neck of the woods:).

Ken Watkins
12-08-2009, 07:06 AM
And the face pattern, Morkel- if you have Chris & Tilde Stuart's field guide, have a look there for the comparison.

The two are subspecies; the bontebok was isolated in a small area (where the Reserve is now) and this subspecies with colouration/pattern distinction developed. The blesbok had a much wider distribution and roamed the grasslands in large numbers till indiscriminate hunting (I think early 1900's) reduced the numbers- now they only/mostly occur in reserves and on game farms. The two subspecies interbreed, which is a threat to keeping the bontebok gene pool clean; the two subspecies may not be kept in the same area.

This is what I recall, Ken, you may want to correct/add- they are in your neck of the woods:).

As far as I am aware you are totally correct.

Morkel Erasmus
12-08-2009, 07:47 AM
thanks for the more detailed info :)

David Fletcher
12-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for sharing this Ken. A rare treat indeed. Appreciate the information.

peter delaney
12-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Lovely image Ken...

I am ashamed to admit have never visited the Bontebok park even though its just 3 hours away... maybe I will n ow.

peter

Declan Troy
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
This has been an informative thread. Interesting information on an animal many of us hear little about. Another reason to try and visit South Africa. Nice looking animal and a nice image showing some of the environment. Thanks Ken.