PDA

View Full Version : The Virgin River Revisited

susanschermer
12-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Here are two different HDR's from images made upon return to Zion a week after the previous post. They are made from the same two files, one processed with tone-mapping, the other with exposure fusion. I wont say which is which. Do you notice a big difference? Which do you prefer?
I feel the lighting was better this time than it was in the first post.

Canon 7D lens at 22mm, ISO100 f/13

Dave Phillips
12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
much prefer less saturated on the left. The light/detail on the distant mountain
is also more pleasing(IMO) on #1

BTW, this and your original post both need at least 5º-6º ccw rotation.
The look is very awkward IMO

Dave Mills
12-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Susan, Interesting difference between the two. As Dave mentioned the right hand image is very oversaturated which I agree. Regarding the rotation I don't agree. I can see where the distant mountains might give that appearance but all other features seem OK. The image on the right's colors also appears a bit colder than the left which is interesting based on the over saturation. The left is my preference...see what others have to say..

Dave Phillips
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Susan, ...........Regarding the rotation I don't agree. I can see where the distant mountains might give that appearance but all other features seem OK............

to "me" the river appears leaning as do most trees/foliage.
My vision with 5º ccw applied

http://i48.tinypic.com/25it5r6.jpg

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2009, 07:14 AM
I am in a car on a laptop so hard to decern the differences but just based on the look of the sky (more cyan on the right) I am guessing the right is HDR and the left is blended.

Overall, the look of either appears more natural then the previous post Susan. Picking one, I go the the left side but will revisit this in the evening from my desktop.

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey Susan,
level seems fine on the OP...peaks and tree look vert and in Dave's repost the mountain looks tilted. I prefer the left......shadow areas seem more natural as does the sky. Nice job trying different approaches.