PDA

View Full Version : Startrail

Hillebrand Breuker
01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
This is a shot of one of my favorite spots by night. The location is near my home in Friesland, The Netherlands

5D, 24-105/4 IS at 32mm, iso 200, f4.0, 1772s, bulb, tripod

Robert Amoruso
01-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Hillebrand welcome.

I really need to do some of these - they are so cool. I really like the blue star trails. I think that the proportion of the black ground to sky is right - not a lot of negative space making the image look unbalanced.

My nit would be moving your tripod left to get separation between the two trees on the right. Thanks for posting the techs as that is always helpful to all of us learning.

Thanks for posting.

Jason Hahn
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I really like the color in the sky that makes the ridge line stand out. I like this image a lot, all around well executed producing a very cool image.

Jason

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Hello and welcome,

What a lovely image, the composition works very well for me. The stars are gorgeous. Can you explain how you did it? was it near sunrise?

Jim Caldwell
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Yes, please post more details! I have been playing around with star trails and shot one in the Everglades a few months ago for a 45 minute exposure on a 20d. My 1d Mk II N sucked down a battery too quickly! I recently read that with very long exposures the CMOS chips can overheat - anyone know if this is true?

George DeCamp
01-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I can see wh it is your favorite spot, this is a sweet image! Did you have any noise in this, one would expect some with a 30min exposure I would guess.

I really like it!!

Hillebrand Breuker
01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Thank you all for your nice replies! I can do 2 exposures of half an hour with my 5D. I have set long exposure noise reduction (option 2, under personal preferences). This means that it makes another black exposure within the same exposure (don't ask me the the tech's behind that). In total that is 2 hours exposure on one battery. I did not apply any further noise reduction in the postprocessing. This is what it is. Raw conversion and postprocessing is the normal routine.

This picture was taken towards norht east without polaris in the frame. For my next image I want polaris in the frame and a longer exposure (something like an hour), to get the full circle. As Robert already suggested it will be of the two trees on the right. They can't be seperated though ;-)

If you want good results then you should do some good preparation. All the trees/ interesting locations I want to photograph are already marked in my gps. Also the route to get to those trees is marked. Don't forget your headlamp and a fresh cup of coffee to keep you warm.........

Cheers