PDA

View Full Version : Godwit in rainstorm

Krijn Trimbos
12-06-2009, 01:01 PM
As it has been raining in the Netherlands continiously for the last couple of weeks I thought I would post this one. This was taken this spring as I was in Friesland for my Black-tailed Godwit research. In the beginning of their breeding season Godwits and other migratory birds have to fatten up enormously in a very short time to be able to start nice and healthy clutches. This femal was feeding when a huge rainstorm hit her, and as if she was letting me know how little time she had she just looked up and continued feeding. To me this photo has a very big behavioral component to it, with the feeding (all the stuff on her beak and) behavior and the harsh conditions they have to face nicely showing, and as such I didn't bother doing to much clean up work around the bill. The sun created a nice backlit situation.

Hope you like it too,

Canon EOS 50D 1/400 f9
ISO 500
Canon 300mm F2.8 L USM + 2x Converter
Handheld while laying flat on my stomach

Manos Papadomanolakis
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
the rain...is a great bonus!
beautiful colors,composition too!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I like the mood, setting, eye contact and rain. Great to see one that is not on a fence post. I might lighten the eye a tad.

Jerry van Dijk
12-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Krijn, wonderful to see some of your work again. The rain adds lots of interest to the image, which has been wonderfully executed as always. Nice feather details!
Hope your research is going well.

Rafael Rodriguez Mojica
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Beautiful pic. I'm too fond of shorebirds, which are my favorites photographic subjects.

Dave Leroy
12-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Very nice shot. Good idea not to clean up the bill as it gives a nic eimpression of the bird feeding. Well done. Dave

Kiran Poonacha
12-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Lovely frame this, nice light effect, the water droplets adds well and good comp too, congrats..

arash_hazeghi
12-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Beautiful light and colors. inclusion of environment and rain with muddy beak takes this shot over the top. I am seeing some subtle color noise on the feathers easy to fix but maybe I am wrong. A winner here.

Arthur Morris
12-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Superb as usual and as expected. The patterns on the breast are to die for.

Juan Aragonés
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Really, really nice Krijn. The backlight and the low shutter speed created a fantastic rainy mood on the image. Love the wet texture of the legs and grasses and the rim light. I like it a lot :-)

James Salywoda
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
This is sweet Krijn I love the falling rain drops an excellent subject too