PDA

View Full Version : Everglades - Anhinga Trail update

Judd Patterson
12-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Well, despite the clouds I wandered over to Anhinga Trail this morning. The temperature sure was pleasant with a light jacket. Water levels were quite a bit higher than November...these recent rains have reflooded portions of the glades. There were waders around (American Bittern, Snowy Egret, Great Egret, Tricolored, Little Blue, Green and Great Blue Heron), but not even a Great Blue Heron was cooperating up close.

A couple Double-crested Cormorants had taken up their standard position on the trail hand-rail. Several Anhinga's are already on nest, and more nests were being built. One of the nests is in a wonderful spot for photographers...right where the paved trail starts to wrap around and turns to boardwalk. Once the chicks hatch it should provide very nice views!

I noticed that there were lots of wading birds not far away, stalking some of the reflooded solution holes. These will provide food for a time, but as soon as the water drops, the birds will move back to Anhinga Trail. A number of alligators and the standard vulture bonanza were also seen. I'll let you know what else I find, and I hope you'll do the same!

Alfred Forns
12-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Judd

Was over yesterday and the water is as high as I have ever seen? We have not had that much rain ... so are they manipulating water levels?

A couple of years age when we were in a draught, water levels were high in the Park? Only explanation is water is being moved into the Park. I know they love having as much as possible but its not good for us !!

Judd Patterson
12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
It's partly due to local rainfall throughout the watershed and excessive rain farther north that probably forced the SFWMD and Corps of Engineers to start extra releases. I was just checking in on this site, which shows a 1+ inch jump the last week of November this year, which we certainly did not see last year. It'll be interesting to see what the first week of December looks like when the park hydrologist updates the graphic.
http://www.fgcu.edu/bcw/Rain/History_SFWMD.htm

We are in an El Nino cycle right now and that does usually mean wetter winter weather for the southeastern United States. We'll see how it pans out!

Connie Mier
12-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Judd, thanks for the update on the water levels. I expect to see a very wet camping season and very windy paddling season this year due to el nino. I've noticed in the 10,000 islands area the water levels are very high, I suspect from fall season tide effect mixing with fresh water run off from recent rains. Every year I am out in the 'glades, it's different. I'll never figure this place out!

Alfred Forns
12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks Judd !!!

... those rocks by the cormi tree seem to be a few inches uw and usually you see the top :)

Hi Connie, you might be able to make it from Chokoloskee to Flamingo from the inside all the way :)

Connie Mier
12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Alfred, I've never had any problems getting through any backcountry routes. This year, we will be circumnavigating Whitewater Bay and spending some "quality" time exploring Rookery Bay area. I am hoping to see some quality bird activity while there!
Connie

Scott Moore
01-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Any more updates on Anhinga trail? How about the bird activity at Mrazek Pond? I plan on heading out to that area of the Everglades tomorrow morning and want to make the best use of my time. Any recomendations on where to stop first are greatly apprecitated.