1/200 sec, f/22, AEB comp: -1 1/3
1/80 sec, f/22, AEB comp: 0
1/30 sec, f/22, AEB comp: +1 1/3
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
AEB comp: -1 1/3
ISO: 400
Handheld

Since I handheld this HDR and because the last frame had some rotation, using Matching Features in Photomatix Pro worked best. However, this version was processed in a program called Dynamic Photo - HDR. In the image registration processing, the user is allowed the option to manually register images. So I decided to offset the brightest image from the other two to get the ghosting seen - therefore that is intentional.

The HDR "look" is intentional as is the obvious halo in the sky. I have other versions I am working on but decided to make this surreal looking one the first post. I know that this is not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

Dave Mills
12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Robert, I generally like the way you handled the image. The starburst is quite dominant and has become the center of interest. I like it's placement within the frame. One area thats not to my taste is the upper tree which as an increased saturation and some color variation. I also might play with different crops from the top....

Robert Amoruso
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Dave,

Unfortunately the flare creates the color variations I believe you are mentioning. I had thought about trying to deal with it, but then again the point of the image is to be highly experimental so I decided to leave it as is. I am also planning on reducing saturation in the upper part of the image to better balance it out. So I agree with you on that one for sure.

The thing that bothers me most is the dull looking gray tone in the blue sky on the upper right. I do plan on dealing with that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I love the gnarly tree and diagonal branches and like you said a work in progress and will be following.

Dave Mills
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi, Looking forward in seeing what you come up with...

Morkel Erasmus
12-07-2009, 05:09 AM
I like this Robert - but then you would have known I would :)
very surreal, and like the busy comp. looking forward to other versions...

is there a trial available for Dynamic Photo HDR? is it standalone or plug-in? do you like it more than Photomatix?

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey Robert,
Very surreal! I'm going with Dave on this one....but after seeing your own assesment.....it does appear to be a flare on the upper part of the tree.....but for me...thaat isn't the issue.....the upper 1/3 part of the trunk (near the sig) seems over saturated red.....selecting that and toning it down.....may be the way to go! looking forward to the repost!

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I like this Robert - but then you would have known I would :)
very surreal, and like the busy comp. looking forward to other versions...

is there a trial available for Dynamic Photo HDR? is it standalone or plug-in? do you like it more than Photomatix?

Morkel, I don't know on the trial - I think so but go the the website and check it out. I do like it and in many cases prefer the results over Photomatix.

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Repost with the oversaturated red at top corrected, yellow/green flare at bottom corrected and the dingy look blue in the UR.

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2009, 10:38 PM
The B&W version - just desaturated the JPG above. I like this but need to go back to the TIFF and do a proper B&W conversion.

Morkel Erasmus
12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
thanks will go try it out...the B&W rocks but so does your colour repost...