PDA

View Full Version : Female Northern Cardinal in Snow

jfranciskay
12-06-2009, 10:43 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2508/4162598205_0b4e3cff66_o.jpg

Taken in morning natural light. Some minor cloning to clean up a small piece of bark on branch. It was our first plowable snow last night. EXIF intact.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Beautiful lighting and a very lovely pose, eye contact and excellent detail. IMO this would work well as a vertical too. Certainly showing more of the snow is nice but IMO a vertical crop would still show sufficient snow to keep this beautiful image a very wintry capture. Well done and many thanks for sharing.

jfranciskay
12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Hello Judy! Thanks for your comment. I never even thought of this one in Vert format, but I think you are right. I really like it better...

http://www.jfranciskay.com/Female%20Cardinal%20120609%20V.jpg

Dave Phillips
12-06-2009, 11:16 AM
nice detail in the snow and good profile pose on bird........nice presentation.
The vert works well.

Please note posting guideline #18 regarding dimensions and file size
18. Images should not exceed 200 kilobytes nor should they exceed 1024 pixels on the horizontal side or 800 pixels on the vertical side.

jfranciskay
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
nice detail in the snow and good profile pose on bird........nice presentation.
The vert works well.

Please note posting guideline #18 regarding dimensions and file size
18. Images should not exceed 200 kilobytes nor should they exceed 1024 pixels on the horizontal side or 800 pixels on the vertical side.

Dave - thanks for the reminder and my apologies...I now realize the first image does not meet the guidelines. Can you clarify on the second image, since the vertical is also over 800, but it is vertical, does it meet the guidelines? My assumption was that the dimensions would be flipped for a vertical orientation....

Thanks!

Robert Amoruso
12-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree that the vertical is the better presentation. Given the harder light, the head angle is right to keep it out of a hard shadow.

Two things that could improved this type of image; softer light and being at a bit lower here would have gotten you on the same level as the bird.

Danny J Brown
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey Jim - Beautiful shot of a cardinal in the snow. Everything looks just great to me and the blue background is lovely. Regarding the size issue, I'm amazed that you got anything oversized through in the first place. The BPN loader is set up to reject anything oversized, even by one kilobyte. Regarding the vertical sizing, we all went through the same thing. The assumption is that the size restrictions are reversed but that is not how its set up. The height on a vert has to be the same as the height on a landscape, 800 pixels, thus making the width only around 500 or so. In the end, verts are much smaller than landscapes. Take care.

kenn threed
12-06-2009, 01:06 PM
A lovely shot Jim,

Very good detail, color (including eye color), nice scene, and a real pretty bird.
I like the vertical crop also. And regarding the size guidelines, would add that I can't see the full height of these on our laptop without scrolling... I had to view them on my larger (1080p) desktop monitor, where a 900 high image barely fits within a full-screen browser window.

I love lady Cardinals, and do really like the shot. :)

Kenn

Manos Papadomanolakis
12-06-2009, 01:29 PM
beautiful pose,details,perch...the vertical crop looks much better!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I like the angle, sharpness and the snow adds to it. The vertical crop works better for me, too. I only wish for a bit more head turn toward you. Is there a slight magenta cast?

As Dave mentioned, images should not exceed 800 pixels vertically and please post the techs, even if the EXIF is intact. Keep them coming!

jfranciskay
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Is there a slight magenta cast?

Axel - the snow in the sun is looking spot on based on sampled values. Where are you seeing the magenta cast?

Thanks!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Axel - the snow in the sun is looking spot on based on sampled values. Where are you seeing the magenta cast?

Thanks!

Left of the bird, it might be the reflection of the plumage. I'm not sure.

Harshad Barve
12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
beautiful image , repost looks good
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
12-07-2009, 01:01 AM
The like the vertical comp, nice pose , the snow adds well to this.. congrats..