PDA

View Full Version : My first blastoff

Richard Waas
12-06-2009, 07:20 AM
This image of my first blastoff was taken at Bosque del Apache with my Canon 50D. For a Miami boy, 17 degrees was a bit cold, but was very excited to see this beautiful phenomenon. It was a very heavy overcast that morning with terrible light. Later that morning it started to snow. ISO 1600, f/8.0, 125 sec, EF 500mm f/4.0 IS USM (800mm), Evaluative Metering, Auto Exposure, Auto WB, No Flash. Comments are welcome.......

Jeff Cashdollar
12-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Love it, the white Snow Geese with blk wing tips. Love the sky formations too, the fluid V's. I just left Reel Foot Lake State Park in North West Tn. It's a great place to shoot eagles and I have some pictures to share,..but to my point,..the Wild Life folks are flooding fields on the KY side of the lake and have told me that Snow Geese should be there in early Jan. The park in in the Mississippi migratory fly-way. Hence, I might be experiencing a blastoff three hours from home soon. Great shot Rich!

Oscar Zangroniz
12-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Great first blastoff my friend. 17 degrees? I'd be inside with some brandy and a cigar.
Were you hand holding? If you were at 1/125 sec it's pretty good.

Alfred Forns
12-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Richard .... need more geese :)

The trick to these is remembering your best image will be the first second of two when they take off !!! Need clean lower/upper margins and lots of bids!! When you have solid birds the image is mostly white so its possible to crank up the ISO for dof ..... if you don't have much light go the other way and slow down to 1/15 or less for a blur !!! ... btw like how you got lots of birds flying directly at you !!!

Gus Cobos
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Love that flock Mr. Waas...all flying in your direction...keep them coming...:cool:

Harold Davis
12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
it's a nice, balmy 78 here!! but no snow geese. :( congrats on your first blast off! looks like you better strap on the 70-200!!!! good luck!