PDA

View Full Version : Valles Caldera Morning

Keith Bauer
12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
I usually hang out over in the Avian forum. Thought I'd try my hand here with this image. This was taken at The Valles Caldera National Preserve in New Mexico. I had the fortune to spend 3 days in this wonderful place and photograph the landscape as well as the wildlife back in September.

This image was originally a 3 image HDR. The colors were all very muted because of the fog so I decided to convert to a black and white. I enjoy the layers and texture this image provides.

I'm most interested in hearing the thoughts of the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

Canon 5D
100-400 @ 190mm
f/11
ISO 200

Roman Kurywczak
12-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Keith,
Welcome to the landscape forum. Nice first post and VG choice for a B&W conversion. I like the seperation you have in most of the trees and I don't mind the central placement of the barn....The fog gives this a great feel and look but I would try to get some more out of the RH trees with either levels/curves layers or just the doge tool faded. Tweaking more tonality out wherever you can will only strengthen this very nice comp.

Robert Amoruso
12-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Welcome Keith.

Well Roman said what I would have said regarding your image.

Let me add well done and looking to you posting here again.

Dave Mills
12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Keith, I feel you handled the hdr well with a good conversion. For my taste I feel the image would be stronger without the central placement and thought I would show an example. Another crop would be to eliminate the sky altogether but I was hesitant about cutting the tree on the right.
The layered look created by the mist also adds another dimension to the image. Nice one!