PDA

View Full Version : Does Head Turn Matter...

Ed Vatza
02-16-2008, 09:18 PM
when the bird is pointed away from you? This image was made this morning at one of the coastal ponds in Point Pleasant, NJ. LIght was harsh but I think I kept it under control. This Canvasback was in sleep mode and slowly drifting about along the shore. As I sat there watching him (and others), I noted his eye was open and he appeared to have made direct eye contact with me. So the head turn seemed almost perfect even though the duck was pointed away from me. The result was a non-traditional image that I kinda like. I am interested in seeing what you think.

Image made with my 30D and 400mm f/5.6L handheld.

1/1250 sec at f/8; ISO 400; No flash.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0802__055.jpg

Grace Scalzo
02-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Ed, I like this pose alot. SInce this is really all about eye contact, perhaps come in closer with your crop? I'd tone down your whites and sharpen the canvasback more, too.

Milo Burcham
02-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Head angle is actually perfect. My main nit is that the light was a little harsh and off angle. I wish the face were better lit.

Ed Vatza
02-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks, Grace. Thanks, Milo. I appreciate the feedback. I can certainly work on the cropping. The harsh light and its consequences is another issue. The mid-morning sun was behind and to the left of the duck causing some problems for me. Since this was along a lake there was no way short of a boat to put the light in a better position. I also made several images using fill flash but they weren't much better than this one. Also I exposed more for the head and eye which left the white on the flanks on the border of overexposure although I would contend they are not really overexposed just pushing it! :D

Other thoughts/comments/feedback would be appreciated.