PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood on the Virgin River

susanschermer
12-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Passing through Zion at sunset, I stopped at the bridge over the river just past the Visitor's Center. A crowd was gathered. I got out my gear and my 3-stop graduated ND. 3 images on a tripod, Photomatix Exposure Fusion. Very difficult back/side-lighting. Only disappointment was no clouds. I regret I didn't hang around another day. The fall leaves were just about peak. Canon 7D, lens 17mm. ISO 400. f/13, 1/50

Dave Mills
12-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Susan, You caught Zion at its prettiest with the beautiful fall colors. Nice classic shot from the bridge with beautiful light and well framed. Perfect situation for grad nd along with an hdr which captured the layered mountains and a ridgeline in the backround. Without using that technique you probably wouldn't have achieved the detail in the backround. For my taste I would add a very small amount to the top. Nicely handled!!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Good lead into the image and great colors with nice layers in the background

Indranil Sircar
12-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Very nice composition. I like the angled sunlight on the rock face. Very nice colors of the fall foliage. I think you can probably get more out of sky in Photomatrix. TFS.

Roman Kurywczak
12-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey Susan.
A classic image. As Dave mentioned combining techniques was a god idea but it would be interesting to see this as a straight HDR (I know...scariligious)...just because the LR corner seems a bit to bright and the sky does appear that more can be pulled out of it. You handled this about as well as you could....to bad you couldn't stay for a few more days to take advantage....but isn't that always the case!

Robert Amoruso
12-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Susan,

A tough lighting situation and HDR is a good option here but I agree with Roman, the tones do not look natural and the posterization in the sky excessive.

I would suggest trying the normal HDR processes (regular HDR as well as the Tone Compressor algorithm).

Morkel Erasmus
12-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Susan - some good points made by the maestros. I too am advocating a normal HDR process here and would love to see the result.