PDA

View Full Version : Dog on the move.....

Russell Johnson
12-05-2009, 05:32 AM
I was referred to Birdphotographers.net by Ken Watkins quite some time ago and admit to being a lurker.

Now I have a bit more time on my hands, thought I would try to participate where possible.

My welcome image so to speak!

Canon 5d
500 F4
1/50 @ F4
ISO 250

Kwando Lagoon, Northern Botswana.

A Wild Dog on the hunt, dusk.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/4159953644_aa5b2a6f54_o.jpg

Marc Mol
12-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Welcome Russell to BPN,
I like this pan blur attempt very much, but was a little perplexed when I saw your s/s, checked your exif data and it read 1/50s, which would put it more inline with the s/s required for pan blur images.
I usually have mine at around min 1/20s and less and f stop closed right down. Thanks for posting.

Russell Johnson
12-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Welcome Russell to BPN,
I like this pan blur attempt very much, but was a little perplexed when I saw your s/s, checked your exif data and it read 1/50s, which would put it more inline with the s/s required for pan blur images.
I usually have mine at around min 1/20s and less and f stop closed right down. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Marc, I have corrected the EXIF :)

Was just a typo on my part.

Steve Kaluski
12-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi Russell, and like Marc said 'Welcome'. I just wonder if Ken is on commission, as I too was invited in by the young man recently? :-)

I like this Russell, but wondered if a 'pano' crop might suit, starting just above the white line, emphasising the direction and force of the image?

Steve

Ken Watkins
12-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I admit it it is all my fault.

Hi Russell and welcome to the best photo critique site in the world.

I have to agree with Steve that this would be best as a pano, still a great capture though, I have a feeling I have seen it somewhere before earlier today.

Now if only we could get all of the African Nature photographers to join safaritalk.net, then that would be useful.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-05-2009, 10:10 AM
A warm welcome Russell and I love your first post. It has such an artsy feel to it and the subject is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Ken for his invite . Will being looking for ward to your future posts Russell.

Russell Johnson
12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Russell, and like Marc said 'Welcome'. I just wonder if Ken is on commission, as I too was invited in by the young man recently? :-)

I like this Russell, but wondered if a 'pano' crop might suit, starting just above the white line, emphasising the direction and force of the image?

Steve

Thanks for your welcome....I did push the young man in question for a kick back.

I actually have a pano crop of this in my collection, cropped similarly to how you mentioned. Will have to upload it to Flickr at some point.

Russell Johnson
12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I admit it it is all my fault.

Hi Russell and welcome to the best photo critique site in the world.

I have to agree with Steve that this would be best as a pano, still a great capture though, I have a feeling I have seen it somewhere before earlier today.

Now if only we could get all of the African Nature photographers to join safaritalk.net, then that would be useful.

When is it not your fault, Ken?

I think we should start the ST push.

Russell Johnson
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
A warm welcome Russell and I love your first post. It has such an artsy feel to it and the subject is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Ken for his invite . Will being looking for ward to your future posts Russell.

Thanks for the welcome, Lynn.

They are such great subjects to follow. I know how fortunate I have been to see them as often as I have.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Russell,
Welcome to BPN!
This is a lovely image. I like the pan blur effect. I agree with Steve that without the whites at the bottom the image would be strengthened. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Danny J Brown
12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Russell - I love your first shot as that is the way I prefer to see these painted critters - running fast! The horizontally blurred bokeh is beautiful as well. You'll be working with a master here at BPN by the name of Marc Malloy when it comes to painted dogs. Looking forward to seeing more of these fellas.

Gerrie van Vuuren
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Agree with pano crop. Stunning image!

Russell Johnson
12-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Here is the repost with a pano crop.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/4160786954_a3a5f39bfd_o.jpg

Danny J Brown
12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Dude...........that pano is awesome!!

David Fletcher
12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Excellent repost Russell. My thoughts were crop the bottom but not quite so pano as placing it nearer th ecorner adding dynamic strength. Well done.

Ajit Huilgol
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi, Russell, and welcome to BPN! The repost is superb, and the panning is absolutely fantastic!

peter delaney
12-06-2009, 03:30 AM
welcome to the forum, love the repost , looking forward to more of your images

peter

Russell Johnson
12-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all you comments. Can see myself wasting a lot of office time on here.

DanWalters
12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Like the sense of motion and the blurring of the colors. The pano crop really looks nice.

Harshad Barve
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Russell, Big welcome to BPN and stunning image to start with , repost takes this over the top
TFS

Nagesh Mula
12-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Russell, wonderful panning here.
In my opinion the pano crop did not work as when seeing the image it gives one an impression of taking the pic from higher ground while you have taken the pic at the much to the same level as the subject.
In my opinion the whites are not that distracting at all, but thats a personal choice what matters is the shot which is well taken :-). Congrats!!